78 Puch Maxi 70cc DMP treats kit timing issue

Connor Winter /

So I just kitted my maxi with the DMP treats kit with a 19mm dellorto carb. I recently noticed while riding when I open the throttle and rip it for a bit, it backfires like crazy after I let off, it also seems to misfire during idle. I don’t wanna seize my new kit here, can anybody help me out on timing for a 70cc not the stock 49cc?

Re: 78 Puch Maxi 70cc DMP treats kit timing issue

#CrazyWayne #CrazyWayneRocks /

Insert facepalm popcorn eating gif

Probably Fred /

> Connor Winter Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So I just kitted my maxi with the DMP treats kit with a 19mm dellorto

> carb. I recently noticed while riding when I open the throttle and rip

> it for a bit, it backfires like crazy after I let off, it also seems to

> misfire during idle. I don’t wanna seize my new kit here, can anybody

> help me out on timing for a 70cc not the stock 49cc?

14° before top dead center with around 17 thou of inch point gap is where you want to start for coolest temps if running a kit (but if you’re backfiring ba you could be really retarded) adding timing only if it runs cool on prolonged full throttle runs,

What is the head temperature when it does it ? (don’t say you’re running a bike without a head temp gauge because that’s a no no)

Is your plug cap low ohms ? (O to 1k ohms is best for points ignition and 10k cap is a no no)

Are plug wire and ignition wires all in good shape no loose connections?

Very dumb even to think of running a bike kitted or not kitted without servicing the magneto area first so if you are running the bike without a temp gauge, without servicing the magneto/setting the timing do not run the bike no more!

It’s easy to service the magneto by Removing the flywheel cleaning/derusting the cam and lubing it and point pivot pre-loosening Stator and point setting screws so they won’t strip when you set gap and timing through the flywheel when it’s back on, then setting point gap correctly, find top dead center and set timing with a timing light at speed (3-4K rpm),

I didn’t write this, someone used my words but it may help you with finding top dead center and timing points ignition on a puch

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_timing

Connor Winter /

Yeah I don’t have a temp kit,the plug cap is the stock one, so I’m not sure on the ohms,but it starts to back fire immediately as I start it up, I do need to get myself a temp kit. With a b7hs it runs pretty cool after a good 5-10 minute run. I stoped ridding it yesterday when it started to backfire and misfire worse.

#CrazyWayne #CrazyWayneRocks /

That's what happens when you slap the kit on and pray all will be good.

Connor Winter /

Hey buddy I’m on here asking a question for answers, not some smart ass replies, if you wanna help me out great! If not don’t keep replying. Thanks

Probably Fred /

> Connor Winter Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hey buddy I’m on here asking a question for answers, not some smart ass

> replies, if you wanna help me out great! If not don’t keep replying.

> Thanks

You don’t have to worry no more he is banned again

6FBDAA89-5666-4E25-9D56-24101BD01158.jpeg

Connor Winter /

Lol his first comment I actually laughed at then he just trolled,good riddance! Thanks a lot ken for the info I’m a noob when it comes to timing, I do have a timing light handy though. Hopefully I can get it going good.

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

I thought Wayne was very polite and mannerly.

A kitted Maxi is pretty rare, hopefully someone has ran one before and can help you out.

Connor Winter /

Yeah hopefully! I don’t wanna fry this thing I spent my last dollar on it!

Connor Winter /

Hey ken, good idea to run a cdi instead of points? I’m looking at the version two on treats and it looks pretty good

Dirty30 Dillon /

Your points are fine, don't replace with a chinese cdi.

If you have done an overhaul of the points, and set timing correctly, and you are still getting backfiring/sputtering, it is detonation due to poor head design/aggressive squish and a lean condition.

Tobias Doesn't Care (ง •̀_•́)ง /

Kitted, I'd go between 14-16 degrees btdc, depending on temps. The puch flywheel is has an OD of 360mm so each mm counts as a degree and that makes it so easy.

Keep your points, just clean em up. Maybe get a new condensor. Take your time and pour over the wikis. Try it a bit and then come back with questions. Good luck!

Connor Winter /

What do you mean by aggressive squish and a lean condition?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account