Peugeot 103 engine temp?

Josiah Radebaugh /

I have a 1978 Peugeot 103 and im not too sure what the engine tempature should be. I had run it at idle for about 5 minuits and drove it up then down my driveway then i let it idle for 30 second before measuring. On the head near the spark plug and head bolts it is about 225°F and about 200°F on the fins. Is that a fairly nonormal tempature.

Re: Peugeot 103 engine temp?

Probably Fred /

Temperature with a temp gun means nothing, get it temperature gauge that attaches to the spark plug at head so you’ll be able to see head temperature when you’re going at speed to keep from seizing

if its stock and runs good dont worry about it, just make sure u premix the gas and watchout for cars.

I have a stock Peugeot 103 sp 1979 here in the uk, only mods are a polini reed and baffles removed from the stock exhaust so I had to upjet a little so temps may be slightly higher than fully stock but not much.

I purchased a trailtech head temp guage which attaches like the prev poster mentioned on the spark plug.

you wont get an accurate reading with anything else when moving.

its very accurate and I record temps of about 300f cruising and going up a big hill it rises to a max of about 340. idles about 250f

I would expect seizure territory about the 400-450f mark but never got anywhere near that, highest I have recorded is 362f up a very long hill and I am 16 stone.

hope this helps

Simon u.k

Probably Fred /

> simon judd Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have a stock Peugeot 103 sp 1979 here in the uk, only mods are a

> polini reed and baffles removed from the stock exhaust so I had to upjet

> a little so temps may be slightly higher than fully stock but not much.

>

> I purchased a trailtech head temp guage which attaches like the prev

> poster mentioned on the spark plug.

> you wont get an accurate reading with anything else when moving.

>

> its very accurate and I record temps of about 300f cruising and going up

> a big hill it rises to a max of about 340. idles about 250f

>

> I would expect seizure territory about the 400-450f mark but never got

> anywhere near that, highest I have recorded is 362f up a very long hill

> and I am 16 stone.

>

> hope this helps

>

> Simon u.k

Exactly ^ but the moment you put on a performance pipe you could gain 100°Head temps easily

I agree with pat although having the trailtech fitted its a real good indicator of how the bike is running if you know what temps it normaly runs at and if you are planning on any tweaking or mods in any way its invaluable.

#CrazyWane rocks # Crazy Wayne /

Stock pug with a spark plug thermal coupler.

WOT 360 - 400 is golden stock setup with a 15/15.

Ported or with Performance Kit 19 mm carburetor, expansion chamber.

WOT 410 - 445 is golden.

Pugs have small heads and small fans so they run hotter than the crap Ken rides.

The smaller fins on the cylinder allow it to expand to bettermatch the thermal expanding / growing piston in side.

So as long as your timing is at 1.2 mm everything should okie dokie just up jet to you get to those temperature range and you'll be fine

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account