(UK) Honda NU50 - tips/advice for better acceleration + performance?

Hi,

I recently got back my Honda NU50 from my local service place and its running ok (starts first try) - apart from the initial acceleration. From stop it takes like 3-5 seconds to gain some speed. It easily reaches a speed of around 25mph+ once it gets going.

When I returned the bike back to the service they opened the case and found the inside to be dirty. Possible the belt rubbing against something. The belt is a Continental BX31. I've read that this is 15mm wide. The stock was a 14mm. The belt have I have ordered is a Medway AX31 - similar to the Gates. Once it arrives - I'll have it fitted and see if it makes any difference. I read one guy only using 3 rollers instead of 6 in his variator. Will this make a difference or maybe getting 6 lighter rollers? I'm also on the lookout for a aftermarket exhaust to replace the stock one.

I was wondering if theres anything else I can do to improve the acceleration and performance.

Thanks in advance.

Re: (UK) Honda NU50 - tips/advice for better acceleration + performance?

The bx is a wider than stock belt and will hurt your bottom end without slipping the clutch higher and lowering the weights to remain in a lower ratio longer.

Captain Janeway /

I have a GY6 clutch with red springs in it and the lower weight to bring the low end back. I put in a yellow contra for the hill in the area. If you're all flats just use the blue because you won't need the extra resistance

Listen to Ryan

Terbo Speghetti /

Pulling the three weights is the easiest cheapest fastest option, but it could possibly take away from your top end speed.. No way to be sure until you try though

Wow, where to begin? I suppose the basics (listed by relative difficulty):

Better Acceleration:

Easy: Ditch every other weight in the variator (i.e. lose 3 of them)

Med: Buy an aftermarket clutch &/or use tighter clutch springs

Med: Install stiffer contra spring

Increase Top Speed:

Easy: Use wider (i.e. BX) belt (at potential cost of acceleration)

Med: Upgrade Exhaust (better increases acceleration)

Med: Install a kit (use an iron kit if your new to this; also help acceleration)

Med: If you install a kit, you'll probably want a larger carb (NEED to up-jet)

You sound new to this (no offence if you're not, or think otherwise); I'd start with a cheap exhaust (Cheap Treats Pipe), and lightening the var-weights.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Very much appreciated .

Yes - I'm new to all this but I'm learning a lot on how things work.

Captain Janeway /

On top of the other suggestions, make this manual your friend. It will help save your sanity.

Unfortunately there is no wiki page for this bike. Do searches back all dates to find tons of interesting stuff once you're more comfortable with the bike. If you keep it pretty stock instead, these bikes are bullet proof. Got 13,000 miles on one before it was stolen. No problems with it.

N50 manual

GY6 clutch and springs

Yeah - I stumbled upon that manual. I'm really glad I found it as it shows you in great detail each part and how to assemble/ disassemble them.

I just want to improve the acceleration and keep it mostly stock. As the bike was quite cheap and don't want to spend crazy money on it. Stock is good for me.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account