Kitted tomos... surges?

Mike Piarowski /

im not really sure how to describe it but while ripping through the power band it basically surges.. only thing I can really compare it to is riding a horse.. is this normal for a tomos?

Re: Kitted tomos... surges?

Surging at a constant throttle opening would suggest too lean of jetting somewhere.

Or you're hitting the pipe's powerband. Temp gauge would be good, as this is where you'll likely seize due to heat.

Sounds lean to me. Check for air leaks but maybe take a closer look at the fuel supply, especially the float seat. I've had similar conditions when the bowl goes dry, it briefly leans out the mix until it fills again. Feels like the bike goes from 3/4 throttle to WOT and back down without moving your wrist.

Mike Piarowski /

Bike literally has over a thousand miles on it with no seizure and very minimal fouled plugs. It's not a jetting issue, feels more mechanical. I've never ridden a kitted tomos before this one so I was wondering if that's just something a kitted tomos does.

Totally normal JBOT /

No, it's not

You're lean because something isn't right

Please. Make a video. Upload to some free service like youtube or vimeo, and then give us a link

Probably Fred /

Surging at idle or low rpm especially on reed type engine/cylinders can be puddling of gas in the intake tract somewhere and other then being irritating can't cause much immediate damage but if it's happening at speed it could be something like brakes catching/ or engine/drivetrain problem

Unless you clutch is slipping most of the time then engaging at speed it probably isn't mechanical (drivetrain). It's likely there would be other noticeable symptoms if it were as well.

Clean the fuel lines and carb. If it has the PHVA Dellorto carb check the figure 8 gasket where the cable goes in to the carb. The one under the black plastic cap.

Mike Piarowski /

I'll get a video and post. Stand by

surges can mean different things to different people

what is the period of the surging? how much time from 'surge' to 'surge'?

does it increase with vehicle speed, does it change with throttle angle, does it change with load?

how about first gear, does it do the same thing or just in second?

chain alignment and whether you have frozen links, or even an out-of-round sprocket can cause driveline vibrations. bent wheels, check the simple stuff first.

See all those questions? Thats why I already asked for a video. Can't diagnose anything without more input.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

One thing many people overlook is intake tract volume. This applies to ALL 2Ts. There is a wealth of 2T info in this article, however scroll down to intake tract volume for this specific question:

http://www.klemmvintage.com/kaw500h1.htm (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account