treats CDI Pietcard wiring

hi guys i have purchased a used treats cdi package along with a pietcard coil and cdi. the stator has 4 wires. brown yellow red and dark red. the cdi box has 4 red wires coming out of it. what is the proper way to wire this setup. thanks. also need to locate a cheap voltage regulator

Re: treats CDI Pietcard wiring

pics please, usually the box has blue, grey, red and black. some have two leads off of the blue or the red to attach to the kill switch.

red wire off box goes to ht coil, the grey and blue are for power and the trigger(dont remember which is which, just try both) and black is ground.

pics coming shortly

heres the pics of what i got

image1504473439763.jpg
image1504473461553.jpg
image1504473501965.jpg

ok, so this has been hacked up by the p/o, they are cheap and not very reliable to begin with, i bet it is fried. I would try it anyways as you never know, and read up on as much as you can on cdi timing.

colors from stator to wires on the box:

red>grey

dark red>blue

brown>ground

yellow>lights

from the box hook the red to the ht coil, wire kill switch into this. black wire off the box goes to ground too. lastly make sure you use a regulator if you hook up lights as it will instantly blow the bulbs.

i am friends with the previous owner and seen it running before. i also have the original; CDi coil combo it came with.

why wouldn't you just ask the previous owner how they had it wired?

in my experience the pietcard 2041 doesn't last long on the treats CDI, the treats CDI stator is putting out ~300v and the pietcard capacitor inside is only rated to 150v

x2 what Graham said.

That box is great for the first 5 minutes before it dies. Maybe you can figure it out, but I went through 4 before I just gave up. Set timing at 18deg BTDC and forget about it...

that's crazy because i've used so many of these setups and only had 1 2041 box fry. shrug.

Yeah it's wild, your review on them is what made me want to try them out haha. Maybe with the correct Pietcard coil they'd work better? I assumed the Treats cdi voltage is what was killing mine, but I'm admittedly terrible with electronics.

he had it running for longer than 5 minutes. he doesnt remeber how he wired it cause its been sitting around for almost 5 years. really i just want 12v lights and going to cdi seemed to be the best idea. ive always trusted my points tho. especially the low mile ones that came on my maxi. for $40 i wasnt going to complain. what about the original coil/cdi that came with it? anyone have any luck?

Maybe their qc has gone down hill. It's been a few years since I've used that setup.

whats the best setuyp for 12v lights. reliable too?

Powerdynamo (no curve)

Hpi (curve but they do fail more often than powerdynamo but much less often than the treats CDI)

Yeah Ryan i dunno whats up with that

i cut apart my 2041 box when it fried and the main power cap was 150v mylar film- just about the shittiest cap you can possibly get. I would guess just based on # of turns and wire gauge that the Treats CDI is capable of 200-300v, especially at high rpm.

given the bad quality of the capacitor, it could be that you just happened to get a magically good one, or a magic weak CDI stator? I dunno, shits crazy. We're talking about mixing and matching some radically different stuff here so its pretty cool that any of it works period.

My guess is the pietcard stator coils (just based on the size alone) only put out the 100-150v that the CDI box is designed for.

i trust my points. never let me down. but i just want reliable 12 lighting. will the cdi box even give me much performance over the points?

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah Ryan i dunno whats up with that

>

> i cut apart my 2041 box when it fried and the main power cap was 150v

> mylar film- just about the shittiest cap you can possibly get. I would

> guess just based on # of turns and wire gauge that the Treats CDI is

> capable of 200-300v, especially at high rpm.

>

If thats the case could we maybe run some sort of a regulator?

is there a better cdi that would work with this stator?

I've read good things about this ignition and considering running it. Apparently it works in left or right hand rotation motors and the reg/rectifier gets tossed in the trash and you get 12v out. That half wave rectifier sucks and only puts out 6v on all systems I tried it last year on another ignition and tossed it shortly there after. If this doesn't work I'll likely go to korado and parmakit cdi cause I need a heavier ignition on my bike as the hpi kinda sucks. Its a manual bike so once you go to let the clutch out you need to slip it a lot to avoid stalling.

http://www.puchshop.de/puch-engine-parts/electrical/kokusan-electronic-ignition-complete-for-puch.html

the 'jog' and 'a3202' boxes both work well with treats stator and dont' fry instantly.

Why not use the Pietcard internal coil?

https://www.treatland.tv/pietcard-CDI-internal-coil-3055-bosch-puch-p/pietcard-cdi-3055.htm

When you have trouble timing this setup Motzing can fill you right in:)

One could use a power TVS diode to clamp the coil voltage, yes. A bidirectional one such as the BZW50-100B or BZW50-120B could work.

> Mr Moped Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> i trust my points. never let me down. but i just want reliable 12

> lighting. will the cdi box even give me much performance over the

> points?

Why not just replace your 6v light coil with a 12v light coil on your points stator then? Forget the cdi.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account