Garelli Gran Sport -need some speed

Matthew Weaver /

I went for my first ride with a group this weekend and realized I need to give my ped a boost. It is a 77 Garelli Gran Sport, all stock components. It is rated for 25 mph and I get 25-27 max on flats, no wind. Hills are a joke! The only mod would be drilling the inner exhaust tube. I tried a rejet with no luck. Can someone recommend a kit or carb change that will give me a few mph? I would like to get 35 if possible to keep up with the group.

Re: Garelli Gran Sport -need some speed

What gearing are you running? Smaller in the back will increase max speed but take away from the bottom end....if it has a 14/12 sha carb pull the cheese grater restricter out run panty hose and put a 50-57 main jet....then buy a pipe and more jets...

I put a 65 jet in the 15/12 carb, ported the transfers, and it will run around 35 and pull hills.

Bad Cadillac™ /

You sure you have no air leaks?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Kevin Henderson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I put a 65 jet in the 15/12 carb

Whats a 15/12 carb...

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Whats a 15/12 carb...

A 12mm carb, duh

1" copper pipe for shim, 28mm jammy clamp pipe from treats, and a coupler nut welded as attachment point for rear mount. upjet a little should get ya 5mph.

If you mean 14/12 carb, then a 65 jet sounds really big for a stock setup. Being that rich hurts performance. Look into an expansion chamber exhaust and high flow airfilter and jet accordingly to those two things. Upjetting doesn't help a stock bike, especially since most came a little rich out of the factory (can't speak for all though.) It only adds more fuel into the mix when something is changed such as a higher flowing air filter. More air in the motor will need more fuel to burn with it, see?

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Ben Whittle Wrote:

> Upjetting doesn't

> help a stock bike, especially since most came a

> little rich out of the factory (can't speak for

> all though.) It only adds more fuel into the mix

> when something is changed such as a higher flowing

> air filter. More air in the motor will need more

> fuel to burn with it, see?

garellis were actually jetted lean out of the factory. They are also notoriously hot motors.

iirc, i had a 50 in my stock 14.12 carb, filter, and air box. even with a SHA 15.15 on stock intake and a pipe i think i was at 53 or 54. 65 is kinda crazy. my polini 70cc with the same 15 SHA and stock intake is only at 66. but If you ask me, it's hard to tell when the stock NOI is 4 stroking.

If you want more speed, get a pipe and maybe a filter and upjet like 1 or 2 from stock depending.

If you are actually at a 65 jet, i would check that thing for leaks, cause that seems way wrong.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account