Attempt to make it fast or screw it

My experience at this point is limited to cleaning carbs, cutting gaskets, adding performance exhausts, springs and upjetting. All on hobbits.

I got my hands on a Columbia Commuter with a sachs 505/1A and realized it might be a pain in my ass. Runs well and does 25 mph.

Is this worth trying to increase the speed? Will adding a performance pipe and upjetting the square bing make any difference at all? This thing does not like hills....I do like the look of the bike however.

I'd hate to take this thing apart, get parts and not get results.

What speed increases can I expect adding performance parts? (Within the realm of my experience, pipe, upjet?)

Is it worth it or should I sell this guy and try and find another hobbit?

Re: Attempt to make it fast or screw it

Dirty30 Dillon /

I've seen a sachs a cylinder with a slip on pipe pulls hills super well and be a great 35 mph bike.

where can i find parts? i have a 76 and it hates hills and i dont like holding up that much traffic

Dirty30 Dillon /

treatland.tv and doscycles.com

I just started a Columbia/Sachs myself... interested in how this goes.

Whatever you do to it, just keep it simple. It does not have the high performance ceiling of other bikes.

that CAN be a challenge. look in the wiki sachs 505 performance has a buttload of nicely written info.

a pipe and regear is easy. rebuilding the 505 is also super easy, maybe easier than an e50 even.

reliably going ~40 is easy but requires the longer crank and D cylinder which could cost ya around 150-200 bucks.

reliably going over 40 is trickier because of the clutch limitations.

if you wanna go quick (mid-high 40s) though, theres options. current favorite is the Airsal 70 kit with stock carb or a SHA hose mounted, upjetted, a pipe and a gear taller.

If you wanna rip dicks go athena 80 reed kit and 2 speed manual gripshift engine and big pipe and OKO carb, you'll spend maybe as much as 1000 bucks and you'll have constant clutch issues, but you can get over 60 and a gripshift is really fun.

significant learning curve.

But if you want easy fast and reliable for cheap, well that's never possible, but it's extra tough with sachs.

chop the sachs off, blast a hobbit sub onto it. make a hobachs.

« Go to Topic — end of thread