the ideal 77' puch maxi 1speed

good day all you fellow peddlers, I recently purchased a 1977 puch maxi 1.5 single speed and was looking for your triumphs and what you might do differently if you could. I want to put together the optimal speed/versatile setup for this so if you would......from gear ratios to primo parts...........aaaaaaaaaand Go....!!!

Re: the ideal 77' puch maxi 1speed

Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) /

Is it all stock? You could put a cheap 65 or 70cc kit on it like the TCCD, or Airsal. If you decide to kit it, a rebuild with an unstuffed treats crankshaft and needle wrist pin bearing is a good idea......

performance exhaust thats easy to mount (Tecno Circuit), gear up to 16 x 45 or 17 x 45, upjet the carburetor and add a better air filter (or run no air filter if you are brave).......that will get you better acceleration and top speed, probably low 40's. If you already have a 14mm bing carb, youre off to a good start.

Tuning the clutch is a good idea too. You don't necessarily have to get different or stiffer springs, i use stock springs on my 2 shoe clutch and have great performance.

Of course, new cables, brakes, and tires are a good idea as well.Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/17 11:22AM by mopedallday.

Where's my water? /

That's like asking 'I have internet, what websites should I look at?'

The world is your oyster, you can do whatever you want. Don't rely on other people to give you meaning and purpose in life, figure out what -you- want to do.

Besides, it's never as simple as "buy X, do Y," you need to learn learn learn. Everyone has different goals and expectations, every bike needs different things depending on the rider, the landscape, and the traffic environment.

Cover your bases first (good wheel bearings, functional brakes, cables reliable, whole bike sturdy, fresh points and good wiring, clean important bits, etc), then start with ubiquitous upgrades like an airsal kit, circuit pipe, kickstart springs, maybe taller gearing and definitely get jets to tune your carb. Read as much as you can to understand what you're doing, and once you've wrung out as much as you can with cheap basic parts, you can move onto something "better" without wasting or destroying stuff.

Ken Roff can tell you everything you need to know with great detail.

You're gonna need a trail tech and metal mesh air filter to start with.

many dofferent ways to go but from experience id get a cheap piston port kit like tccd or treats and a circuit pipe. put on a 14/12 dellorto with a foam filter and jet in the mid-high 60's. all this and blue clutch springs with a 16 front sprocket will get you in the 40mph range. you will have a rippy bike and still get decent fuel mileage. big carbs are rippier but super thirsty

I thank you so far. I'm asking just because I currently own a fleet of tomos only modded lightly that are daily riders for work. My problem comes as I am not very mechanical and don't have all the tools needed to do all modifications. I'd like to pre build the bike essentials and then buy it all at a shot. I recently picked up a 77 maxi 1.5hp stock and in need of a tank treatment and or just start over. I got really bummed when my buddies who ride blew me out the water . They went about 50/55 mph. I want a bike that will keep up. Ones running an e50 on unknown frame with a polini 64cc, the other a 2-speed magnum. Just want a fast fun bike to go to the rally with....and keep up!! Puchs seem to be the most readily available. Top end minimal mechanical is where I'm at. I was checking your frames out wheresmywater? Hopefully this helps. And maybe I'll see someone at a rally. I'm a brewer by trade and hobby, so if ya help me build it the suds will flow like the Nile!!! Lol

Where's my water? /

I personally think 50/55 is a lot to ask of a bike that was originally designed to go 30 at best, especially if you're unwilling to really get your hands dirty. If you live somewhere flat, you can probably build a mid-40s bike without much hassle- there's plenty of info on the forums.

pushing the 50 mph barrier will need expertise, patience, and a decent amount of work or else your flashy new kit will be a paperweight or your face will be a 100ft smear on the pavement. If your friends' bikes are hauling ass, why not ask them for a hand?

You will still need to rebuild the whole engine even if you're only aiming for 40mph. A 4 decade old cruddy worn-out crank and bearings are gonna give up the ghost pretty quick when they start screaming thousands of RPMs higher than it ever went in stock form. You'll still need to get into fiddling with clutch tension and ignition timing, too.

and all of that stuff is still worthless if your bike can't go 40 to ZERO quick and safely enough to avoid eating shit. Or even just maintain speed safely... your raggy old pedal sprocket gets gummed up and your pedals turn into egg beaters, your crusty-ass wheel bearings lock up one wheel and throw you into traffic, your improperly tightened forks fuck up in a corner, your glazed-over dried-out brake pads do fuck-all, etc etc etc.

i do not claim to be an authority on Mopeds™ but just don't let your ambition outrun your sense. You will need to clean your tank (degrease with soap & water a few times, soak with vinegar for a few days and use small nuts/bolts as abrasives and shake the shit out of it), you will need to clean and repack or just replace bearings, some moped things are inevitabilities.

It doesn't hurt to ask and research stuff, and people here will probably say I'm being pedantic about dumb shit (build it ride it break it fix it, its just mopeds right?), but at the very least you can't really just throw a kit on it and call it a dayEdited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/17 02:57PM by ag_wolf.

Adam Moyer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> good day all you fellow peddlers, I recently

> purchased a 1977 puch maxi 1.5 single speed and

> was looking for your triumphs and what you might

> do differently if you could. I want to put

> together the optimal speed/versatile setup for

> this so if you would......from gear ratios to

> primo parts...........aaaaaaaaaand Go....!!!

19mm dell carb, treats reed kit ( or any other reed big bore kit) treats v6.1 clutch, lighten clutch bell with a pull start & 16 x35 gearing and any after market pipe. Should be a ripper , for crazy insanity buy a hpi ignition.

Kevin Bishop /

^ don't give him useless info. He doesn't have tools.

You could make your tomos faster much easier. It has a good crank already and all. Buy an airsal kit and put an estoril pipe on it. It can be done with minimal tools. You will like it with a better carb/intake too.

Connor Winter /

MEdited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/17 01:34AM by 78_maxi.

kit the tomos

Some pictures would help

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Adam Moyer Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I am not very mechanical and don't have all the tools needed to

> do all modifications.

> They went about 50/55 mph. I want a bike that will keep up.

> Top end minimal mechanical is where I'm at.

It sounds like you ideally want a small-bore motorcycle.

« Go to Topic — end of thread