Peugeot 103 running rich// im new to this

got my first moped off craigslist. havent got it to run for more than 10 minutes without it bogging out.

downsized the mainjet from 100 to 98, thinking it would need to go down more, and it ran nicer for a while but after going top speed (40+++) it started giving out and i havent been able to get it to run since. it starts but wont idle...

i read up on carb tuning and want to make sure i'm getting the right piece to make this run leaner and i thiiiink i need a new needle (W7 instead of W3?); seems like most folks got a W7 when they have something similar to mine running (i presume) but wanted to check with folks who have more experience first... would this help me out or should i try something else?

current bike specs:

kitsize: 65cc

exhaust: simonini

carb: dellorto PHBG

carb size: 21mm

main jet: 98

idle: 50

needle: W3 ( most people on the spreadsheet got W7 so should i change that?)

needle setting: 1

air filter: molassi

hoping to fill other stuff out for the spreadsheet.

also:: spark is getting oil on it, and i think its cus its running rich... unless there is something else i should check?

thanks in advance.

Re: Peugeot 103 running rich// im new to this

#Crazy Wayne ™ ROCK'S, #Crazy Wayne /

name vitals /

more of these.

name vitals /

thx for the post cus i found yr page w seemingly good info on it.

besides a popcorn chopping panda, you got something to help me out?

that includes more gifs.

im still thinking a W7... (edited)

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Timing before jetting.

name vitals /

changed the points out to some new ones and it was running great for about 10 minutes.

that's when i decided to start messing with the jetting and it only got worse.

first i changed the jet to 98 but it still bogged out so i went to 96 and then it would hardly run at all. then i started trying to tune the carb but since it wouldnt even start. so, i went back to 98, to no avail, and then back to 100 and same.

i did just find a leak in the head gasket so i think it is time to go there before doing anything else? unless folks have other things they'd recommend. (edited)

#Crazy Wayne ™ ROCK'S, #Crazy Wayne /

Condenser and crank seals

Yes to what Jaylene says. If your condenser is still in the stock position it is difficult to take it out of the mix to diag running problems. With a bad condenser your bike could start but not rev, start but stumble and cut out like a loose wire or not start at all.

With no condensate at all in the mix the bike should start and idle but trying to give it revs it willl stumble and die.

If you find the problem a good mod is to move the condenser to a more accessible location.

Read here

For that set and pipe your really close on jetting.

I have settled on this for that set:

W7 clipped to 2nd from bottom

#50 slide

99 main

262 AU atomizer

55 starter

42 idle

Yes to what harvey says. Set your timing to strait up stock 1.5 BTDC for now.

Ilia Edouardovich /

#30 slides works much better for me with the Simo pipe on a reed kit.

Ilia Edouardovich /

I run the 55 starter jet since 60 is too rich for my 70cc Malossi.

50 pilot seems about right. Seriously try a different slide and consider dropping that main a bit. I don't run anything but 30 slides on my Peugeot builds. 50 and 70cc with any exhaust.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account