Peugeot 103: DIY Rubber Motor Mounts

I've been experimenting with these for about 2 months now and decided that it's time to share and hopefully get some user feedback. Personally I've experienced approximately a 40% decrease in overall vibration with my 50cc Gila. Handlebar vibration decreased much more, foot peg vibration not as much, but still a very noticeable change. Definitely no plans to return to the stock setup.

Purchase and modification instructions are attached.

Should you decide to give these a try please post your results. The bushings fit the stock engine mounts and most likely fit the mount on the Malossi cases. The white plastic spacer bushings are still used when mounting the motor.

FYI I've only tried these with a 50 kit, but will be running them with a 70cc Malossi very soon.

Re: Peugeot 103: DIY Rubber Motor Mounts

Thanks a bunch. Very good contribution!

I don't get it.

But I'm a dummy

It just wont last for a performance build. The steel boat will mill the brass out in no time then start on the rubber, but before that your motor would be ridiculously floppy and cockeyed. But for a milds stocker It would be great.

I might do this to a stocker bike. Thanks for this.

Here is what happens to a hard steel bolt from performance abuse. That brass would give it up like a prison bitch.

The internal part of the bushing that I drill out is definitely not brass. In fact, it's a pain in the ass to drill and I'm confident that it's strong enough to hold up on any 50cc kit. My Gila and stock cases are heavily ported plus I'm running a clutch pulley.

Don't knock it till you try it ;)

Cheetah is a naysayer.

It's a well known fact.

But you know what they say,

"He who lass lass last lass"

LOL it just looks like brass in the pictures.

Maybe your drill bit was brass.

Thought I was complimenting the Idea.

There still aint no ghosts in that engine Jbot.(edited)

You are a moped conservative.

I'm a moped liberal.

There are powerful ghosts, and I find them and release them into the world.

I don't know that either of those thing are so I'm glad you can point that out.

Seriously, stop with the ghosts. They're winding up over at my crib.

My buddy is moving his machine shop, How about I send you a grab box of aluminum blocks and rounders? And some of that holy sheet metal for stingers?(edited)

I could live with that.

:)

What is that bolt cheetah? looks like it needs replaced with a harder piece hunH

Well, nay nay, you cant do that as the sleeve bushing inside the motor mount Is hardened bearing steel. and it pivots on a bronze bushing as the motor variates.

Trouble is after time and lack of maintenance the steel bushing gets rust spots and then freezes to the bronze bushing and the whole motor mount starts to pivot on the mounting bolt thus wearing the bolt out. NOTHING IS SUPPOSED TO PIVOT ON THE MOTOR MOUNTING BOLT. One of the two has to be the victim and it is easier to find the bolt.

So, Nay Nay, to this whole thread about rubber bushings that pivot inside of the bronze bushing or in turn pivot on the motor mount bolt. They will wear out very quickly in both instances and fail

I say Nay Nay to this mod, it just wont last.

Here is a motor mount I recently serviced.

Peugeotmotormount001.JPG
Peugeotmotormount002.JPG

(edited)

That's some thick blood!

Interesting! Thanks for the feedback. I greased the bolt, but maybe haven't put enough miles on the bike to see the impact you mentioned. Nay nays appreciated. I may make something from scratch which is mainly why I started the thread.

3000 miles on a kitted pug and my bolt looked like that one also.

Yeah thats too long between servicing the pivot area. You did the same thing as me and let the shit dry out.

@ Ilia. This is still a cool mod even if it wont last. I admire that you posted about it with such detail.

As far as the rubberized motor mounts go the best I have seen on the Peugeots is the Fox I think. It has this cool vulcanized rubber block in the middle of the motor mount.

That Fox mount is the same mount as on my SPX too..so far so good. :)

Ha Ha I am mistaken The pic I posted is of the SPX mount

ended up going this route on rcx for malossi cases

image.jpeg

retained stock engine hanger bolt diameter for maximum poly bushing.poly t bushings with steel spacers pressed in bore, flush with ends of bushing. dom tubing hangers on frame. cut new engine hanger bushing from pedal axle, drilled to fit bolt (t-rod) . retained engine bracket spacers.

all metal on metal bushing contact is stationary when bolted through. engine pivots freely, confidently snug. minimal side to side hanger to bushing contact, only at bracket spacers.

image.jpeg

seems like most franconerds just use mbk bushings and add hangers to fit. but polybushings.com :consistently available product, cheap to replace a set, made in USA. poly is a little hard, so i tried to get as much between he bolt and frame as i could.

has survived tuning and a weekend at the track.

steel on steel is galling, steel on brass doesn't gall. your wrist pin would look like that in five seconds even though it is made out of super hard chrome TGP tool steel, but add a 'soft brass bushing' and suddenly it runs forever.

i think this is an awesome idea, buying the punch is cool but i would just cut it off with an xacto

Is this happen only with powerful engines? When i take bolt from 1983 model (over 9000km, ie, >5000 miles), there was traces of wear but not as deep, not even close to this picture.

Maybe peugeot use different bolts trough years? Or, maybe we should put stronger bolt in with stronger engines, like 12.9 or something?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account