Puch Maxi carb upgrade question

Hello, I have a Puch Maxi MK2 with a 70cc treats kit, boss pipe, 14mm bing carb and intake, and 84 jet. Im not getting a lot of power out of this, and its pretty boggy at low end. What size/kind of carb would you recommend with this setup?

Re: Puch Maxi carb upgrade question

Which intake/filter? I'd start at 72, you're too rich for a 14mm carb.

Probably Fred /

It's not the carb it's the lack of tune, Down jet to ya like 72

Service magneto and Learn timing for it sounds like you got bad spark out of time too. http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_timing

Ethan Brady /

14mm intake and high flow filter. What size carb should i buy tho?

Ethan Brady /

A bigger carb will make it faster though. I put a 72 in and it was stuttering really bad at full throttle. Thanks

Harry Barfield /

Listen to people who know more than you (and me). You don't need a bigger carb you need to tune the one you have.

If it's stuttering with the 14-Bing then something else that's out of tune and a bigger carb won't do anything but make it worse...Sometimes you can tell sombody something but if there not listening......

Probably Fred /

Ethan Brady Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A bigger carb will make it faster though. I put a

> 72 in and it was stuttering really bad at full

> throttle. Thanks

Nope the pipe is the speed limiting factor not carb. The bigger the carb the more the powerband is put in the higher RPM to an extent, if you don't have a higher rpm pipe you won't be going much faster, you may make a more power if it's tuned right (but you can't even tune the carburetor/engine you got now) and more in the upper rpm range but you won't necessarily go faster unless intake and pipe is bigger/higher rpm type)

What You need now is a the 222 atomizer (jet holder) in your carb.

If you have the dreaded 212a atomizer in your 14 mm bing carburetor you have to pitch it to get a #222

Again make sure your timed right

Ethan Brady /

Ok thank you. Just curious about the carb, won't a bigger carb take in more air? Mine seems rich and boggs a lot so more air would help. Im not so worried about top speed, because i can tune it and what not, but low/middle end is really boggy. Thanks

Listen to Ken, and read the wiki on tuning.

A bigger carb isn't going to get you more air in the way that you're thinking.

You need to tune (adjust your jetting) to fix the AIR-GASoline mixture that is entering your cylinder. Bigger jets pull more gas, less air -> too gas RICH.

Smaller jets pull less gas, more air -> too LEAN. Less gas also means less oil, this is when you seize the engine.

If you are either too rich or too lean, the spark will not create proper combustion, and you will lose lots of power. When you have the correct mixture of air/gas entering the engine, it will produce proper combustion.

Also, Boss pipe is bad for low end. I have one.

Murray Rothbard /

bog=lean, stuttering=rich, brrrraaapp=just right

Ethan Brady /

Thank you that helps clarify. What pipe do ya recommend for good overall or just low end?

Ethan Brady /

And does the needle position have something to do with it?

Murray Rothbard /

Can't really recommend a specific one but generally the longer the pipe the lower the rpm hit and the bigger the belly area between divergent cone and reflector the wider but less intense the spread of hit.

Perhaps a techno hunter would suit your needs well?

The Tecno-Hunter is just as bad as a Tecno-Boss The Tecno-Circuit has superb low-end and revs plenty high enough, I would say Tecno-Estoril but it has pedal issues...But in other words the Circuit pipe will eat a Hunter for breakfast and a Boss for a snack before lunch...

Harry Barfield /

No experience of the other pipes, but the Airsal 70 I built up yesterday has a techno circuit, 15X40 and 14mm bing (with 72 jet) and whilst i'm still running in it rips to 35mph with just 1/3 throttle and very conservative clutch settings.

You say it's boggy with an 84-jet means airleak city and take out the brass stem the jet is screwed into (atomizer) and look at the number on the side of it...if it says (2.12a) then throw it away and like Ken keeps telling you (2.22) is what you need...Find the air leak...

Ethan Brady /

Are you running a 70cc or 50cc

Murray Rothbard /

Bobby Selby Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Tecno-Hunter is just as bad as a Tecno-Boss

> The Tecno-Circuit has superb low-end and revs

> plenty high enough, I would say Tecno-Estoril but

> it has pedal issues...But in other words the

> Circuit pipe will eat a Hunter for breakfast and a

> Boss for a snack before lunch...

my bad, was thinkin op had a stock jug, just noticed its a 70cc

Ethan Brady /

Why do people buy bigger carbs in the first place? If it won't make it have more power what's the point

Murray Rothbard /

It's a question of balance. If an engine and pipe will only suck what can readily flow through a 14mm venturi, how can a 28mm venturi improve the flow? Why not put one of these $775 53mm Lectrons on instead?

PS - Just realized lectrons are available in 25mm now, what are the chances china will clone them?

Reading comprehension...? 70 (seventy) but that doesn't really matter as a 50 or 70 kit with a Tecno-Circuit and a 14-Bing and 18/45 sprockets ((((tuned correctly)))) is the important thing will get you 35 to 45mph all day long...

Ethan Brady /

Ok i did that. Would a bigger carb be worth it? i tuned my 14 well and it goes about 40 but would a 19 go 45 or just stay the same?

Harry Barfield /

Buying a different pipe would make you go faster.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account