Streched Hobbit setup?

Dayton Bourassa /

Over the course of this winter I will take apart the hobbit and go through the whole thing. Tomahawk had a nice build where they stretched the hobbit they did by three inches. They had moved where the engine bolts to the frame back, in conjunction moving the engine, sub-frame, wheel and suspension mounting points back.

My question, has anyone (on a hobbit or not) done this and what size suspension did you end up going with? I have been looking at some 320mm shocks but I don't think that would be enough if I was planning on stretching back three inches.. input?

Attached is the set of shocks I am thinking about. Still have a few months before I even start this project this is all blueprinting in the making.

Scootershock.jpg

Re: Streched Hobbit setup?

Pythagoras

Alex Degnes Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Pythagoras

what he said, calculate your triangle my friend. unless you want a mega low scraper bike.

Dayton Bourassa /

Seeing what people have done if anything. I can surely work it all out on paper but sometimes just posting and getting ideas from others can change my mind or spark something better.

Yes move it back 3" and get longer shocks. The triangle is good still. i had sparta hydro shocks. the best ever! i can't remember the length tho..

keep in mind with the stretch, your angle has decreased so you'll need a stiffer spring set up, in addition to a longer total length

Dayton Bourassa /

Yes taking into account that the "Triangle shape" will be altered to a more aggressive "rake" for the shocks. Man Max I wish you could figure out what you had for a length.

What I had in mind was do it out on paper, do my triangle out now, and then draw out the new triangle and see what the rake will be with all the calculations. I'm sure those shocks that I initially posted are much better than these stock ones. You hit a crack in the road you bounce for another 100 feet before you're steady again

Totally normal JBOT /
image.jpg

Pushed the swingarm back like 4 inches.

You can do fun things with shocks.

I'm all about dual rate springs. Two springs,

One stiff, other soft. Cushy but a tight ride.

Dayton Bourassa /

Thanks JBOT, good information. While you say push the swingarm back, did you do this by taking your engine mounting bracket and moving it back on the frame? what size are the shocks you're running?

Also if i move it back, it moves everything back, including pedal placement, which is something I will have to look into because I don't care to have my feet placed far back in an unreasonable position.

All good info, thanks guys keep it coming.

It's only 3" straight back. No problem with foot placement 3" back. Not even half a foot length. Cut it off move it back. Put the frame on and make sure it's up and down front wheel aligned with rear before welding it back solid.

Search, it's been done and explained a buncH

The shock angle is good, need about 15mm longer shock.

IMG_4071.jpg

This is 3"back. It lands the motor mount in the center of the frame. Its important to square it up good!

Please more photos of longer stretch! Im in looooooooove.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Found this on the side from last time. I added a 1/2" strip to beef it up.

Leave the tabs to bolt the gas tank back on.

Dayton Bourassa /

Here is basically what I am shooting for with a setup. I had emailed Tomahawk and they gave some information on what they had done with it and the three inch stretch was one of them. The mounting position seems to be where the support brackets are where the plastic pieces go.

The seat position seems to also been moved back a tad as well. Here is basically my blueprint I am aiming for my hobbit with a few alters.

TomahawkHobbit.png

That shit is so beast mode. Black mags and I would cum.

neat! thats more like 4"

Not my hobbit but most stretched hobbits will use a 350mm-380mm shock.

One in the picture has 380mm

Dayton Bourassa /

Wow that's a nice piece... and it for sure looks stretched at least 4, maybe even more. So assuming that, maybe a setup like the orange one would be good with 350mm. Good find!

I feel like that much angle will make for a useless shock that isn't extremely stiff.

Just move the top shock point as well...same angle ad front forks...I think these are 310mm on mine...I liked the way it sat.

Dayton Bourassa /

Yeah I did think about that but I can get a cheap pair of shocks like the ones in my initial picture for about $100. I like the look of the separate reservoir as well, and the color combo is an added bonus.

They have the look of almost being more beefy and more rugged. I won't be taking these off Everest so I wouldn't need it but its a good look. The Chinese 13 year old kid making these in his uncles sweatshop has me hooked for now.

Mine were way less than 100.

lol word. Sweet, post pics when done with your project. I have a stretched hobbit that I am working on as well. I'd probably have to go with 380mm shocks but I'm still figuring if I can come up with a sweet monoshock.

Emil Kniemel /

Dan Ott Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just move the top shock point as well...same angle

> ad front forks...I think these are 310mm on

> mine...I liked the way it sat.

>

>

> http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag35/Daniel_Ot

> t/51A31D7D-5BAD-44ED-96D1-EF9E42F5EE6F_zpssd1gwg4l

> .jpg

thank you. it looks sooooo much better (and probably functional) when people relocate the shock mounting point.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account