Puch Maxi Plug Chop Issues

So I am starting to tune my Maxi. Replaced the stock intake and bing with a 14mm intake and 14mm bing. In addition, I also tossed the stock air box and replaced it with a hi-flow filter. It bogged right off the bat so I obviously had to get a larger jet.

I bought a range of jets (carb had a 60 in to start) 62-80 and started trying them out. I basically started a few on the lower end and had issues with bogging. I then went far and thought, I'll just go high to where I know four-stroking will start and at least I'll know where to move down from (because the last thing I want is to get hot and seize). I went to a 72. Things were alright, didn't seem to hear any four-stroking, but it was bogging at points in acceleration. So I tried to check it out with a chop.

Rode for about a half mile to a mile and got it hot. Killed the engine and came to a stop and changed out the plug (using NKG B6HS). Rode it for about a half mile and killed it again, changed the plug out and rode home. Saw no color on the ceramic insulator and the copper metal nub in the middle was a dull dark copper.

I decided to move up three sizes to see if I got anything. Moved up to a 78. Rode well. No real bogging during acceleration, and at top speed going for about a mile or so I got only small spurts of intermittent four-stroking (less than a second if they did come). Finally I'm close! Ran a plug chop and saw pretty much the same. What is the deal?

Re: Puch Maxi Plug Chop Issues

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

You need to look down inside the plug which requires cutting it open. You'll need to hold it wot longer than 1/2 mile too.

Re: Puch Maxi Plug Chop Issues

Probably Fred /

If your using a stock non-expansion chamber pipe you're wasting your time will never tune it in right

72 is about right if 222 atomizer but you have to try all needle clip selections

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account