Re: Honda Hobbit 70cc kit

Dayton Bourassa /

You lose compression but with higher compression comes the heat. The high temps these guys are experiencing are from either running a little lean, too high of compression or a little of both. Yeah this high compression gives you good power, for a limited time only. There is a fine line to hit where you don't want your compression too high for that high temp and consumption of top ends, and also you don't want it too low for a major loss of power. This "fine line" is my goal to hit. Not pointing any fingers but this trial and error method I don't seem to like. Maybe its personal preference or maybe its because i can't swap that much parts on the ship I work on. Swapping out a piston and cylinder the size of a pickup isn't as easy as the hobbit lol.

The heat is from the undersized, inadequate hobbit head. Tell me some more about the thing you know nothing about.

Buy and try to build whatever you want. My only investment in this was not seeing another woe is me build.. fuck it. You say experience trumps book learning then tell the experienced that they have it wrong.

wilfrin hiciano /

just put my urban express together. 70cc athena kit. jb weld decomp hole. stock 50cc head. base and head gasket. great compression. great temps

Dayton Bourassa /

Thank You for a reasonable response^^^ I think I came across DPC Ryan the wrong way...

So what are your "great" temps, and the "great" compression?

What's your squish?(edited)

JBOT Is bored so I'm back to troll you Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So what are your "great" temps, and the "great"

> compression?

> What's your squish?

Dirty30 Dillon /

wilfrin hiciano Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> get the athena kit. put it on. use your stock

> head, and tune the carb. the bike will idle and

> give you 40 mph.

Why spend $200+ to get a hobbit to do 40 when you could get the same result from modding the stock hardware and about $25 in used parts...

Because then he can say it has an Athena and never ride with real builds. I didn't think that question would come up.

I've built a lot of hobbits. The Athena and the fast arrow and the 77 cast iron and the wizzard (which is actually same as the fast arrow, TCCD, and 77 aluminum kits) all required some spacing. I almost wonder if some euro cylinder or the china clones was decked differently, because why would so many kits be so consistently off?

Regardless, I've run the malossi cast iron, polini iron, DR, athena, fast arrow, and 77 cast iron kits, as well as the "stocko shocko"

the 77 generic ones are absolutely the worst, stockoshocko is worthless, ported stock is infinitely better thna either of those.

Beyond that, malossi, polini and DR are all quite similar in performance, but the DR is just a way better value, and it takes a hell of a beating without complaint.

And the athena, without question was the fastest, all around, torque and rpm, unreal. but yea, finicky.

Really wanna try the metrakit derbi setup, expecially for the better cooling, and curious about the malossi H2O, but i'm gonna shut up now and leave with this to say

DR is the best value, easiest, most rewarding and most robust kit for the hobbit. with porting it'll shred with the best of them, but even as recieved it's a really great kit. it may be my favorite kit in all of mopeds.

Will Parrish has a malossi h20 and it really rips.

Really impressed. Great kit

I really am fond of Malossi for build quality, but I can only speak for my ludicrously expensive scooter cylinder. Every single surface was machined aside from the transfer tunnels, which are ceramic coated. The piston slid through with the schwing that you hear from samurai swords in movies and I can fully place my thumb through the exhaust port and bend it up and along the wall it's so large. Really, really have a hard-on for it even months later.

But, if given options of a like option to the DR, I will always choose it. By like-cylinder i mean little to no work to use and able to be put back to the state it was before without replacing parts.

Dayton Bourassa /

As I have heard a lot of good about the DR kit. Unfortunately on treats and 77 they are both sold out. Which also says a lot about the kit, that people a buying them left and right. I won't be pulling the trigger on a DR anytime soon I guess.

wilfrin hiciano /

so my build is with the athena kit but its going on my urban express nu50m engine. i jb welded the decomp hole in the cylinder. in combination with the stock head. yes the stock head does not physically fit in order to give a squish, but the piston clears the head no problem. as for compression. judging by the way the engine turns over it seems fine. idle temps are at 280 and wot at 320. bare in mind this is all on a stock engine.

Hey wily.

What's your squish? Cuz I bet it's huge.

How much spacing did you do under the cylinder?

I can tell you, you either are very very very detuned due to

Or you weigh like 100lbs.

Any normal adult person at 150lbs or over running a properly setup Athena is gonna easily see 450deg plus.

Idle at 280 and wot at 320? Yeah. Right.

A 40 deg difference between idle and wot is simply not possible.

Shit my Athena would hit 380 at idle any time it was up to temp. It never gave a fuss about it. If I ran it any richer it would load up and stall after a minute or would bog like hell on takeoff.

Dayton Bourassa /

Hey Willy did you use the recommended "athena spacer kit" offered by 77 mopeds when you did this? How are you recording your temps anyways, just out of curiosity from your low low temps? JBOT and DPC how you guys taking your temps?

Directly at the plug via trail tech gauge.

wilfrin hiciano /

i use the trail tech temp gauge on the plug. it might be different if the stroke is different between the hobbit and the urban. but i just used the gaskets that came with the kit. I'm assuming my squish is bigger than it should be but because i don't have a 70cc head on it i don't want it to hit the piston anyway. idk if by kits it differs, but on my maxi i have a case matched 70cc airsal and idle temps stay at 280- and WOT will not pass 347. ps i weigh about 155

Not to hijack this thread but...What is an acceptable compression range for an Athena with stock head?

Or at least minimum?

Hi JBOT

My malossi h2o is by far is the fastest, and most comforting kit. No need to stress about overheating AND it rips.

Also, beautifully manufactured.

Worth the cost, worth the time plumbing.

I know right?

But I'm faster now

Awwww... Are we gonna do the thing where we find out who has the fastest hobbit?!!!?!?!

Sacramento. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure.

Can't wait.

Pow!

Fuck.... Now I actually have to show up.

Dayton Bourassa /

when purchasing a 70cc kit, is the Malossi 21mm carb kit a good one in conjunction with the cylinder kit? Another question if so, does it already come with jets that are suitable for the 70cc kit?

Dayton Bourassa /

I also believe, and correct me if I am wrong, that the stock carb size is a 19mm, Dellorto also looks like they have a nice setup, but curious to hear what you guys have done.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Stock carb is 12mm...

I like mikuni, running a vm18/20 on a nice hobbit kit would rule

Keep it all Japanesey

You are wrong. The stock carb is 12mm.

Dayton Bourassa /

Wow I am way off, well I see 19mm kits, 21mm, 22, and even some 24mm kits. I have heard all online that people have used 21mm more than others. Is this just a more common size or is this the desired size for a 70cc kit?

Stock carb is a 10 actually

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account