Not a moped, but - Yamaha U5 - Newport

Brent Bublitz /
P8151947.JPG
P8151948.JPG
P8151943.JPG

So I just came across a Yamaha U5 Newport in pretty decent shape aside from a massive spray bomb job. I know it is pedal deficient, but it is a solid 2 stroke oil injected three speed setup. I'm willing to take some shit about it being a scooter/motorcycle if I can get some answers from the generous hive mind.

I have been searching for a while and I really, really can't find any solid information on these. I'm hoping the big brains here have some kind of experience.

It starts (both kick start and electric) and runs well, no issues at all so far. It gets up to 40 on the flat if there is no wind. The oil injection setup seems to be working and really looks like it's in great shape, so I'm sticking with it for now.

What I'm really wondering is if the top end is compatible with the QT50 or other Yamaha kits, or if someone has an idea what I can do for a little more performance. Carb/pipe are an obvious choice, but the cylinder has a weird threaded connection, not a bolt on like the QT. I would like to avoid hacking the header unless there is no good option otherwise. For a chamber, I would want something with massive bottom end as this motor is never going to wind out.

The carb is under a side cover and I think it's case inducted. I have not really pulled it apart to check yet.

Any one mess with one of these and have some tips? Anyone have a link to a shop manual that is not a shitty $15 xerox from Ebay?

Re: Not a moped, but - Yamaha U5 - Newport

All I know is the cylinder is very similar to the yamaha jt1

And if a JT1 it similar to a YL1 stroke/stud pattern, a Puch kit wouldn't be too hard to setup on this. The Weekends dudes did it and it was pretty cool.

Figure out what the taper is and tell me so I can put cdi on my friends u7e.

You are probably better off grafting any horizontal engine to it.

MCR Rick has one that he bought at mid-ohio. I believe they are rotary valve.

They're the bomb diggity.

True rotary valve engine. Super fast and reliable. I'd buy one in a heart beat if I could find one for reasonable.

What you should do is mess with your intake timing (tune the rotary valve), put a chamber on the stock header, jet it and port the stock cylinder. They're cast iron, so no stupid fucking plating to worry about.

You can flow plenty enough air through the stock inlet and carb.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Yes, work with what came on the bike & if done properly, it will make a big difference when the pipe is included.

Stan Henderson /

This is the link for the 1966 U5 parts list online that is savable printable (not the U5-E model). I bought a U5-E Service Manual that I am happy to photograph, and make available here. Is there a section of the bike that you need the most. It's like 60 pages I think. Stan P.S. The photo is of Edie Henderjack and the 1968 Lady Yamaha that I bought for her mama, and now have pretty much gathered the missing parts to paint pink! https://www.yamahapart.com/oemparts/l/yam/547f3b74f870021f60c94563/1966-u5-parts

IMG_6318.JPG

IMG_20171221_144927.jpg

Looks alot like my U7e

shitty Xerox might still be worth it

I dunno anywhere that'd have that manual.

not toooo old of a thread bump! going to look at this guy today! asking $650, i think im pretty sold on it. hopefully in the 400-550 range at most

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/d/bethesda-1968-yamaha-u5-50cc-scooter/6873248657.html

Oh hey guys, so I bought it... 11xx miles. Clean AF. Spent about an hour cleaning the paint and chrome up. Runs flawless... for $400 I'm extreamly pleased with my purchase

20190426_173443_resized.jpg
20190426_173446_resized.jpg
20190426_173502_resized.jpg

Very nice . You are going to keep it that way , right ?

kevin Smellaflange /

wow..nice, do we all get to ride it sometime?

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Very nice . You are going to keep it that way , right ?

yeah she'll be staying stock!

anyone is welcomed to come down and ride it :) im a nice guy lol

goddamn I lovethose. this thread is babefilled

kevin Smellaflange /

nice

just got off the phone with yamaha USA, after about 10 mins of search the dude was like oh snap here we go! he confirmed the vin and said it's a 1965 Yamaha U5 D

so that's kinda neat. i was thinking it was a '67 or '68

My vin is: M5-309574

put about 55 miles on the '65 U5 since i picked it up. gotta oil leak i'll be addressing this weekend but the gf is insistenting on making it faster

-___________________-

i told her we are Not fcking up any stock parts on it. so i guess im on the hunt for a spare engine to attempt to adapt a puch head to or just to port the cylinder, put a pipe on it, advance it a little and try to tune the rotary valve induction.

anyone had luck doing performance on these birds yet? when she's running well she does 43-45 or so, not bad for a '60's stock fifty

Anyway u can send a pic of the wiring where the battery goes. All mine are screwed up I just picked up Yamaha u5e and the wires are spliced with no connections Please help

250A687F-2AFE-4500-BDC6-E7C5A5A636F1.jpeg
F9B8DC4A-5A9D-4E9C-9711-AAB85D8346D0.jpeg

1965 Yamaha U5 Newport 50. 97 original miles. I added the whitewalls.

66F5F37F-F524-4E78-9E92-D8E733DDC02A.jpeg

Hey Chris what do you think of this Yamaha, It doesn't have pedals either and is a cool new toy bobber of mine... XT250....

0000.jpg
000.jpg
Army Bobber.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account