sachs clutch 3 pack

so i need to replace my clutch pack cause i'm an idiot and ran them low on fluid and roasted the crap out of them. anyway when i took the assembly apart i found that the p/o had converted it to a 3 clutch plate system and was wondering who has done this before and what clearances i need in setting the preload on this. thanks in advance

Re: sachs clutch 3 pack

Look in the wiki

same clearances. the 3 pack comes in 2 varieties, the difference being the center splined piece. on the true 7 pc clutches, that piece is longer, but you can run just thinner clutch plates on the original spline guy to fit 7 piece in place of 5, but you ditch the bigger spacer washer. still shim it to the same specs.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Setting_Clutch_Preload_on_a_Sachs

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Sachs_clutch_modifications

and a slightly wordy and IMO over convoluted approach:

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Shimming_the_Sachs_505_Clutch

sometimes just re-buffing the scorched pads can get a few hundred miles of OK workin

dude thank you so much you answered the questions i had about the shiming and such

quick question is this 7 part clutch way better then the 5?

skinee puppy (skineepuppy) — Jun 29, 2015 04:01PM

quick question is this 7 part clutch way better then the 5?

BUMP - Is there a piece about this anywhere on the army?

Id like to move to a 7 piece clutch, but I dont know where to start...

Clutch (especially sachs clutch) is a new world for me.

im working on getting some upgraded clutch pads made up i will keep you posted on what i find out.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

i had a 7 piece and went to a modded 2 gang one thick one thin thick plates a d doughnut and a super thick shim on the end. works good now i need that thick o seal for the pedal crank to finidh the motor i had it running with the mods went good but needed seals.

so i took my 7 piece clutch appart and took mm readings of all the parts so that you can piece together a 7 piece one on you own.

From the most outside part moving closer to the crank:

washer nut 4.05mm

shim 1.20 mm

1st metal plate 1.70 mm

1st clutch plate 2.25 mm

wave washer

2nd metal plate 1.70 mm

2nd clutch plate 2.25mm

wave washer

3rd metal plate 1.70mm

3rd clutch plate 2.25mm

wave washer

4th metal plate 2.50mm

measurements where taken with a digital caliper zeroed out before every one was taken. Im taking the plates and clutch plates to my friend who runs a performance transmission shop. He makes automatic transmissions for everything from top fuel dragsters to sand dragsters to shifter carts so hopefully he will have some better ideas on how to make these things hold up better to power.(edited)

so me and my friend at the trans shop did a little tuning to the assembly and it made a huge difference over all.

this is what we did:

1. took the clutch spline thing and doughnut bearing, sanded and polished both ends of them using i file first to plane it flat then very fine grit sand paper to smooth(500 grit).

2. opened up the center hole a marginal amount not allot just about a 1 mm this was to add more lubrication for these rotating parts and prevent binding

3. filled the teeth of the spline cog just enough to let the pates slide a little better. its really good to file some and check on one of the plates until its nice and smooth. the plates have a tendency to "chatter" up and down and it makes engagement sloppy

4 smoothed with sand paper all the plates then bead blasted all of them to give a bit more bite when they engage the clutch disks.

5. put back together and set pre-load

things i noticed the engagement of the clutch packs are so smooth and there is no noise associated with them engaging. the bike pull much better at take off but is a bit more sluggish at mid range. however at high rpm's this things rips way better cause they are not slipping anymore so i picked up 2 mph on the top end. all together very happy with it so far now i can see if it will hold up to more power

so clutch setup works great but due to more friction from the sanded plates it keeps backing the bolt loose so i went to fasternal and ordered some m10-1.00 nylon locking nuts and it is working great i will put some miles on it and report back on longevity of it

yeahhhhhh... good luck with that

you can get a toothed lockwasher between the crankshaft and the spline and that will work pretty well but eventually that will get destroyed too.

the only 'permanent' fix is will's solution to put a set screw in the splined hub and grind a flat onto the crank. you can do it really carefully by drilling through the top of the case above the clutch, if the motor is already together.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

a rolling paper soaked with locktite and a serrated innertooth washer.

once you torque it down, hit it with a heat gun to 300f. you will need a puller to get it back off tho....

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account