Best way to add torque?

I recently picked up a 2000 Tomos Targa LX and I have a specific route I will be using it for almost everyday and on my way back there is a really large hill I would have to climb. I have not attempted it yet but I can almost guarantee my ped won't climb the hill.

I have a bullet chrome exh. with everything else stock. I'm going to clean the carb and upjet but was wondering what else I could / should add to climb this monster of a hill, any help is appreciated.

Re: Best way to add torque?

Ditch the bullet. Easy. Get a low end pipe.

Such as?

circuit pipe or estoril pipe and shorting gearing,(larger rear sprocket)

Probably Fred /

My bullet on my revival because of long header has ok low end.

I've found the best thing for me was to mill the head 2 mm and rebevel it.

Man with the pipe, large metal mesh filter/up jet and 24 tooth rear I gained 14mph over stock speeds and climb hills that I would stall on before mods.

chad dixon /

In my experience the best way to add torque is by the following:

Increase cylinder pressure through compression.

Find a pipe designed to work in the lower rpm range

reduce the carb bore as it'll typically increase the velocity in the lower rpm range.

Longer connecting rod

Longer Stroke on the crank

Increasing the bore (to some extent)

Increase the length of the intake runner between carb/reeds. Again, the pick up the velocity in the lower range.

Playing around with port timing helps too. Increasing the distance from TDC to the X port I'm told helps as it provides for a longer power stroke before things bleed off. Gasket stacking on the jug is a common way to go about this.

One thing to be very careful of is the way the transfer ports get ported. They have to remain relatively small so that the velocity during the exchange is maintained.

Another thing to look at is stuffing the crankcase. This will improve the pulse to the cylinder. The less volume in the crankcase, generally the better. (why stuffer cranks are made for various engines)

Hope this helps.

Best way to add torque? Use a longer handle!

Nyuk nyuk nyuk

Moby Express /

use the pedals.

This is a very large hill. I haven't tried it yet but Im not sure if pedaling will work (edited)

Bigger rear gear will give more climb at the cost of top speed.

Get a over bore kit and that will give the torque

Sell it and get something with a variator.

Probably Fred /

Jarod V. Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sell it and get something with a variator.

He don't know how to tune/work on a easy bike like a Tomos so how can he even think of tuning a French or belt drive bike.

I don't even mess with French bikes/belt drive bikes no more.

They don't like me.

Mikey Antonakakis /

Moby Dick Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Best way to add torque? Use a longer handle!

>

> Nyuk nyuk nyuk

came here to say the same thing!

Mikey Antonakakis /

But more seriously, these are some options:

1) Circuit pipe

2) Big-bore kit (treats alukit is a great value)

3) Combo of 1 and 2.

Those are the most effective options, in order from least effective to most effective. The bike will be a lot more fun overall with option 3! And not terribly expensive, maybe $200 total?

1) $72 http://www.treatland.tv/tomos-tecno-circuit-pipe-a3-a35-p/tomos-tecno-circuit-pipe-a35.htm

2) $120 http://www.treatland.tv/tomos-alukit-party-p/tomos-alukit-70cc-head-party.htm

2.5) $7 http://www.treatland.tv/tomos-44mm-A35-top-end-gasket-set-p/tomos-44mm-a35-gasket-set.htm

Also, upjetting will just ensure you don't seize -- it won't make you faster.

If you do get that kit and head, run an extra base gasket at first, at least until you get it tuned in. You'll be happy. Well worth the $200.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account