General 5 star 'DRO fork bushing replacements

So I probably could post this on BS or on here, but I mentioned a couple months ago that I was gonna make some of these:

The plastic bushing, kindof a yellowish/whitish color. Originally made out of nylon or some sort of garbage plastic, wears out. When it does wear out it makes your forks wobbly and it makes your fork seals blow out shortly thereafter.

The disassembly process is pretty easy, i'll do a writeup on my blog maybe later with some better pics, but you just pull off the dust boots (no replacements for these that i know of... 1977 might have some in the handybikes stash)

there is a snap ring under the dust boot, you pop that off.

then you gotta drive/jam the seal out from its crusty hidey hole. This might take some doing. The easiest i found was to put a rod/axle/spudwrench into the axle hole and stand on it, and pull up on the toob.

once it pops out you get the assembly shown above, swap out the old bushing for a new bushing and replace the seal.

The bushings are gonna cost 30 bucks shipped. Thats what it cost me to have them made, but I only had 5 sets made. They are precision machined to much tighter tolerance for nice snug forks, and they are made out of Delrin plastic which ought to out last your moped. If people buy these, I'll do another production run with more and possibly get the price down, and probably sell through treats. If you want one of the 4 sets that are for sale PM me or email me motzingg at gmail

The seals are available here

26 x 36 x 10.5 fork seals on Dennis Kirk

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?6,3504523,3575996(edited)

Re: General 5 star 'DRO fork bushing replacements

Ugh, yes plz! pm'd

just realized i don't actually have any pictures of the bushings themselves. use your imagination, they are white and round.

***VANILLA BLUNDER*** /

when they broke i would just wrap them in electrical tape.

This is pretty cool, I've sold 3/4 sets already (only one set left)

based on how quickly they got snatched up I'll plunk down the cash for a big production run and see if I can't get the unit price down a 'lil bit.

they'll probably be at treats within the next few months for those of you who missed out.

oh yeah ONE SET LEFT!

silly me, I bought these figuring they would fit a lazer and unbeknownst to me... the lazer forks are a little different. the "bushing" on my lazer is actually metal and is a part of the fork. weird.

really? bummer, maybe you can re-sell it on this thread. thanks for the heads up though, i would have also made that assumption.

no worries, there's a general in my garage that needs new seals and will get these bushings at the same time!

i'm pretty sure all these bikes had minor differences as they were basically being built by hand in some dudes' garage.

seems like every one i see has wierd stuff different, coil brackets, mount points, controls, bars, wheels, etc.

mine has a front brake that doesn't seem to exist on any other moped ever. i've tried like 5 different sets of brake shoes and none of them fit.

Mikey Antonakakis /

!!!! I guess I have slightly different General forks!

Mine have 37x26 seal! And they aren't a snap-ring type, the collar is threaded on! Important info for some people I guess!

Mikey Antonakakis /

You can find the 37 x 26 x 10.5 seals here:

https://www.denniskirk.com/14678.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=Cj0KEQjwrJ2tBRD13N7T5u7k9I8BEiQA5APAAFIt-ke5y-lmnhhOhsUMRo_HWJgpexlXX8Hp3xAlXo0aAkKg8P8HAQ

Or here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I1BTCXQ/

I'll take some pictures of my forks to show the design, a bit different than the ones you have, Graham. I definitely believe that Generals were made by some dude in his garage. I'm really liking mine so far, though! I might start a thread on my build. Also if this is a little too far off-topic of this thread, sorry! I can make a new one!

duh, Taiwan!

Mo Peds Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> duh, Taiwan!

^^^^^^^^^^ haha

Here is what my general forks look like that are threaded(like Mikey) AND have the snap ring at the top of the seal(unlike Mikey?). You can obviously tell the difference between this style and the type Graham posted pictures of - just posting this for prosperity. Normally you'd never want to use a pipe wrench or anything with teeth on chrome/brass fittings but mine were already pitted and a bit nasty so I just went for the quick way.

Oh and my seals were the 26mm x 36mm x 10.5mm - FS001 by part unlimited.

Canadian Bacon /

Following. Would definitely be interested in these just have to tear into my forks to see what setup I'm facing. New to this and need to do a fork rebuild on my Grycner. Mechanically inclined but new to bikes. Have the Downloaded manual but its limited on information like how much oil I need to refill them after rebuild. If one of you would be willing to do a write up that would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

Did you ever find out how much oil the 5 Star fork requires?

BY chance, do you remember how much oil you put in those forks?

> Kevin Nixon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> BY chance, do you remember how much oil you put in those forks?

You might look at similar forks and take a que from them . Maybe CB125 forks ? They take 130-140cc per side .

Thanks for the Suggestion. In a few threads I found other forks starting in the range of 90ccs to start and add in increments until I reach the desired stiffness.... It is not going to be a racer, just want to keep my teeth where they are - in my jaw.

Kev

And , the weight of the oil used makes a big difference as well .

10W if you're a light weight and up to 20W if you're a bit rotund .

overfilling forks will make them a lot stiffer, i ended up with SAE30 and no idea how much, just kept adding until they felt good. probably 100-150 ML? i dunno, too much and you blow the seals out.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account