Motorcycle engine?

Greg Salamander /

so I have a 2010 Streetmate r. Yes, everyone knows it looks like a motorcycle, but I would like it to drive like one too!

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can fit a motorcycle engine on to a moped? Has anybody ever tried this?. It would have to be small enough to fit and it needs to be chain drive.

Also, I don't want it to be that expensive. Can I pick up a small motorcycle engine for less than $500?

Re: Motorcycle engine?

Search "Lifan"

Probably Fred /

Yes you could pick up a China/India clone of a Honda engine for less then 500 bones but The fabrication of mounting , the lining up of drivetrain, the fabrication of a foot brake etc. would require time, welding and fabrication skills

Since it's not really that old the resale on a streetmate r should still be decent. You should be able to sell it and pick up a little honda or something. CB, Rebel 250, Ninja 250, etc. Craigslist is usually filled with decent project bikes for under a grand. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/4779485624.html

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/4787140375.html

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/4805067889.html

Part it out. Dibs on wheels. Forks brakes.

Someone on here sells Bolton lifan tomos mounts. Monstermopeds

Is kitting your tomos to do 60 not enough?

500$ will get you to 60 mph pretty easy (edited)

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

^60, really?

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ^60, really?

New jersey.

i swear sometimes that new jersey is the only place that got any streetmate r's. its things like the fact i will never have one and people who have them constantly ruin them by hacking them up and or then parting them out. :'(

Probably Fred /

I'll take a streetmate R or a regular streetmate anyday and not cut it up.

Very good platform/feel .

I rode/almost bought a regular streetmate that was kitted with a a35 kit, stock phva carb and estroil chamber and it ripped to low 50s with a great powerband.

DSC02184.JPG

80cc 4 stroke Moby. Not quite "motorcycle" but still had a clutch and 5 gears.

And bicycle brakes.... yikes.

Bicycle rim and forks too. Triple yikes

The jockey shift is pretty cool, though.

I sort of want to give it the benefit of the doubt, 'cause a lot of high-end MTB stuff is way higher quality than stock moped parts, but that whole front end probably came straight off a WalMart bike. (edited)

Lol

By the time you figured out how to put a motorcycle engine on your tomos with safe brakes, rims, suspension, frame it'd cost way more than selling it and finding a decent motorocycle. And if you got pulled over it could he trouble if you register it as 50cc.

Best to either kit your moped and ride in the 50s like most people here or buy a motorcycle. You haven't been able to find much information on what you're asking because it's generally considered a bad idea.

But if you're gonna do it you want to search for the other threads with dudes putting lifans on their bikes. And disc brakes at the least. All the information you need is on the forum.

Once you've read it and started, come back with specific questions and problems and document your build for entertainment.

your streetmate has a disc front end yes? you are looking for one of these!

Greg Sky Wrote:

> Can I

> pick up a small motorcycle engine for less than

> $500?

You can pick up a small motorcycle for less than $500. Well, used, at least.

you might be better off with a cub or an innova, if you want something moped looking try find one of those lifan/ jialing 4t hobbit clones some of them even come with pedals and are bigger than 50cc.

Monster Mopedz Wrote:

> your streetmate has a disc front end yes? you are

> looking for one of these!

as much as I think lifaned mopeds are a boring cop out, this is a good option if you're reeeeaalllly into the idea. it's at least not some bull shit flux core hack job.

homeboy looks like he gives a shit about craftsmanship and everything looks like it lines up well and fits straight.

Sachs 50s with 6 speed mod on a Moby frame: still 2 stroke but a little warmed up...

Blanche01.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account