powerband temperature...

sometimes my shit won't hit the pipe till it's good and warmed up. it'll be donk untill like 310. cool, huh?

Re: powerband temperature...

Cool story bro

yeah there seems to be a sweet spot in the high 200's for me where the clutch is still nice and cool but the top end is just the right amount of hot where it all seems buttery.

go to a hotter range plug if you can. dave vizard says run the coldest you can without fouling, but i disagree, i say run the hottest you can without detonation or melting the electrode (which my DT50 does). Hotter plugs warm up faster and seem to tune more consistently. Running a cold plug your tuning changes a lot with temp, but it seems like when i run a hot plug i can keep it richer without it being all four stroky in the heat.

but yeah, you gotta get errtang nice and hot to run right, heat is power.

i'm thinking i gotta put a cardboard in front of my radiator or something. my DT wont stay at temp when i'm blasting hard now that its getting chilly out. it has a thermostat but its set too cold.

^wrap that bitch in tin foil. it looks better than cardboard.

haha nice yeah i'll do that.

maybe i'll just stuff a pelt in front of it so it looks like i have a dead cat stuck in my radiator.

Mikey Antonakakis /

Hmm, some say 2-strokes (especially water-cooled) make more power the colder they are (assuming everything is tuned properly for the colder temps, and assuming you can get enough heat in the pipe). My own experience is hit-or-miss, and I think it's usually because the pipe isn't hot and the fuel isn't atomizing very well. My Tomos though, that first pull out of the driveway is always the strongest, but then the more I blast at top speed on a ride, the hotter the pipe gets and the higher my top speed gets. (edited)

i run a b6. it'll rich up and 4t cold. i got some low comp (on purpose) that aids this phenomenon. i was testing it today. anything below 280, and it'll 4t and even cut out a little at around 40mph. 285 and up it hits a second time after it gets through the "spot" and maintains a nice clean purr topped out at wot. goes about 50.

i like it like this. i think i'm gonna leave it alone. just cruise in the high 30's for a mile or 2 b4 ripping time.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account