Tomos 70cc Airsal tuning help

I recently installed the 70cc airsal kit from treats for the A35. I installed the kit and began the tuning process. It fires up no problem, idles just fine and revs just fine however when it reaches high rpm and about 30-35 mph, it sounds like the engine shuts off for a second then fires again and will continue to do this until you let off the throttle. I am running the stock exhaust, stock carb and stock airbox, all of which Benji told me would be fine to run as long as I upjet. I've had a 58 jet all the way up to a 72 jet and they all have the same high rpm cut out. The 72 was definitely running too rich and the 58 is definitely too lean but both caused the same symptoms. I'm also running the puch 70cc high comp head (ok per Benji again). So basically I'm lost because I cannot specifically identify the issue. Doesn't appear to be a fuel issue if all the jets gave the same result. Another symptom is that the bike really isn't any faster after adding the 70cc kit and head. The carb is spotless, fresh gas which had extra oil in it in the beginning but is now running the standard mix from the oil injection. Any thoughts?!?! I want to get this running well before winter! Thanks!!

Re: Tomos 70cc Airsal tuning help

Overpriced Parts /

Lose the stock exhaust its it's barely/not even good for 50cc, run a performance pipe (turbo, bullet, circuit etc.), run a metal mesh and plastic cap filter and 60-low 60s jet range, I'd run the stock head just with it sanded/milled down mm or two, hi hi head can make for hot head temps .

Run a head temp gauge so you Monitor head temp so you don't seize.

The main reason I want to keep the stock exhaust is because it is quiet. I was told it's possible to run it with the 70cc kit. I'm not looking for huge power gains, just a bit more bottom and top end. The head is not the hi hi comp head it's just a high comp head. I will try switching to the stock head and see if it runs any better. Noise is my main concern here and I've yet to see a pipe that's even half as quiet as the stock one. Swapping out the air filter yields the same result, much more noise. There must be something else causing it to cut out at high rpms

are you sure your piston is facing the right way and your torqued up to spec ?

how was it running before the mod ? (edited)

I'd run a performance pipe, but if you are more concerned about noise, you might want to try this "stockish" pipe. Has larger 22mm header and no restrictive s-curve.

https://www.treatland.tv/tomos-A35-stock-pipe-p/tomos-a35-stock-pipe-22mm.htm

get an Estoril pipe , its quiet, then use the 72 jet.....loose or modify the stock air box

my derestricted sidebleed Estoril is quieter than the stock pipe

most kitted motor noise comes from the intake

I will double check piston orientation but that's should be correct. I will also double check the torque on the head bolts. It ran fine before the mods. No leaks, strong with no cut outs at higher rpms.

With a larger header, would I need to bore out the exhaust port on the cylinder to match?

Bill, I can't help but be a bit skeptical because I rode a 2005 kitted tomos just like mine with a bi-turbo exhaust and it was extremely loud. He didn't have an intake. Do you happen to have any videos of your pipe?

Overpriced Parts /

Jeff H Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bill, I can't help but be a bit skeptical because

> I rode a 2005 kitted tomos just like mine with a

> bi-turbo exhaust and it was extremely loud. He

> didn't have an intake. Do you happen to have any

> videos of your pipe?

He had to have an intake, without an intake what did he connect the carburetor to?

Sorry, he didn't have anything aftermarket on the intake or filter...stock

if and when you check the piston...

check the play in your con rod and the cylinder for any scoring

i had one kitted bike that every once and awhile would skip at full throttle,

i closed the gap on the spark plug a lil bit and the prob. disappeared.

not that's what you got goin on but ....

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account