Best performance mods for a moby 50v?

So after doing some research I can't find much info on any mods for a my moby 50v. As of right now that fastest it's gone is 42mph down a hill and 37mph on flat. I have a Dellorto sha 15.15 on it not exactly sure of the jet size. I know its in the higher 60's. I also have a chopped up baffle. Instead of the long pipe it just a nub at the end. Well anyway. I've looked at the gas spring mod and a few other things. What mods are out there and how effective are they? I'm trying to break 45mph on flat ground. pic of my moby Thanks!

IMG_0230.JPG

Re: Best performance mods for a moby 50v?

Stock Del airbox/screen? Loose all but2 or 3 screens and drill more holes in airbox then up jet till it 4strokes , then back down 3 jets or more. Tell more ,sprockets, jet size, check wheel bearings, chain tension, tire pressure, these simple kind of things add up.

simon thokaar /

er3 variator, vm18 mikuni (80 jet), doppler pipe, some port work and you will be in the 50s.

Are you looking to replace the stock parts with aftermarket performance stuff, or just modify what you have already?

Have you ported the stock cylinder?

Have you cleaned/greased your wheel bearings?

Cleaned/greased the variator and the drive pulley?

Serviced your brakes?

Really nice looking bike, by the way!!

thank you! haha Stock ports. Honestly I'm jst going for the best bang for your buck mods. not looking to go ham. I need to loosen my chain a little and re grease some things (looks like the previous owner didn't do anything other than ride it.) I need to get a new be;t soon, mines slowly getting frayed.

actually I just thought about it. Stock motor says to run a 25:1 mix and this motor is set for 50:1... does that mean its modified internally? I'm still trying to learn these things.

No, stock motor ran on old shitty dinosaur oil, modern oils are better so you need less oil overall.

Here are directions on porting your stock cylinder. This will get you more speed.

If you have a 4 ball variator you can disassemble it and remove two balls, that will allow your motor to rev higher before variating, thereby getting you better acceleration.

I would avoid the doppler pipe. Stock pipe is fine until you kit it, and once you do go with a larger cc cylinder the doppler overstuffs most cylinders and causes problems with overheating. I have both the doppler and the giannelli sport, and the giannelli is a much better pipe (IMO). It hits lower and has a more gradual creep into the power band, rather than kicking like a mule as the doppler does.

Belt: you can go with a gates ax30 (cogged) or a 4L320 (non cogged). The cogged will last longer, the non cogged is stickier but only lasts a season or so before stretching or fraying.

Okay so from what I understand is the less balls, the slower the variator is? I think I have a 3 ball variator. Gotta check thank you!

scott middleton /

Less balls = less weight, which causes variation at a higher RPM. Stays in lower gear longer.

Less balls or more spring will make the variator more reactive by putting you up into the higher rpm with the variator not fully closed.

You can adjust the spring rate with the stock counter spring by stuffing the spring.

Great video (as always)....thanks Rebel.....i'm going to do this soon

Tommy Suminski /

Does anyone know how to do the Doppler pulley on? As in should I put washers on for the space left over?

Tommy Suminski /

Do you guys think I'll be fine without spacers?

1414723238784-545720682.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account