More variating variatorness dinging

Julie the Wizard /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

So I JUST took apart my notched vario. wooooah the plastic caps are broken on my lighter weights. welp this is not good. Inspection reveals that the ramp plate looks okay, everything is dirty.

So I cleaned the shit out of it until it fucking squeaked. Took my heavier PA50II weights and put them in instead (with a bit of marine grease, just a little, on the walls of the ramps.) Put in the guards, thread locked the screws, the bendy washer and big nut. With everything reassembled, I put everything back together (and also put tighter springs on my clutch) and started the bike. neat.

It blasted off with pretty good speed. I like the adjustment so far. at first it didn't variate then it variated fine right quick. I hit 35 and looked down and heard it making a high pitched 'cling cling cling cling!' like something was hitting the bell and saw a wire hanging, so I stopped, put it back up, and blasted on. With that fixed, it started making the noise again when I got back up to 30 except the wire wasn't hitting it. wtf? Oh well, keep going. Monitor the belt.

Getting pretty fast, old speeds like 37 and stuff and it's /still/ variating. actually the belt has gone above the variator and looks like it could fly off. weeeeird. Is that supposed to happen? I could only observe so much going 30 and looking down with a helmet on, but it looked like it was a mm or two above the variator.

So something else is making that sound. Took it apart again and everything is where it should be.. The ramp doesn't jiggle around or move, it's super tight. The locking plastic washers are on the starter clutch posts.

What do?

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  More variating variatorness dingingTopic by: Julie the Wizard Julie the Wizard 10/05/14 12:50AM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Steve Clark Steve Clark 10/05/14 02:03AM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Julie the Wizard Julie the Wizard 10/05/14 02:13AM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Julie the Wizard Julie the Wizard 10/05/14 02:13AM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Steve Clark Steve Clark 10/05/14 02:22AM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Julie the Wizard Julie the Wizard 10/05/14 07:00AM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Julie the Wizard Julie the Wizard 10/05/14 07:06AM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Ryan . Ryan . 10/05/14 02:14PM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Steve Clark Steve Clark 10/05/14 03:25PM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Ryan . Ryan . 10/05/14 03:48PM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Steve Clark Steve Clark 10/05/14 03:57PM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Steve Clark Steve Clark 10/05/14 04:31PM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Ryan . Ryan . 10/05/14 04:32PM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Julie the Wizard Julie the Wizard 10/05/14 10:05PM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Ryan . Ryan . 10/05/14 10:47PM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Steve Clark Steve Clark 10/06/14 12:00AM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Neil Burgess Neil Burgess 10/06/14 01:47AM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Neil Burgess Neil Burgess 10/06/14 01:52AM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Julie the Wizard Julie the Wizard 10/06/14 03:33AM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Dirty30 Dillon Dirty30 Dillon 10/06/14 10:33AM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Graham Motzing Graham Motzing 10/06/14 10:41AM
  Re: More variating variatorness dingingRe: Neil Burgess Neil Burgess 10/06/14 10:16PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account