More variating variatorness dinging

Julie the Wizard /

So I JUST took apart my notched vario. wooooah the plastic caps are broken on my lighter weights. welp this is not good. Inspection reveals that the ramp plate looks okay, everything is dirty.

So I cleaned the shit out of it until it fucking squeaked. Took my heavier PA50II weights and put them in instead (with a bit of marine grease, just a little, on the walls of the ramps.) Put in the guards, thread locked the screws, the bendy washer and big nut. With everything reassembled, I put everything back together (and also put tighter springs on my clutch) and started the bike. neat.

It blasted off with pretty good speed. I like the adjustment so far. at first it didn't variate then it variated fine right quick. I hit 35 and looked down and heard it making a high pitched 'cling cling cling cling!' like something was hitting the bell and saw a wire hanging, so I stopped, put it back up, and blasted on. With that fixed, it started making the noise again when I got back up to 30 except the wire wasn't hitting it. wtf? Oh well, keep going. Monitor the belt.

Getting pretty fast, old speeds like 37 and stuff and it's /still/ variating. actually the belt has gone above the variator and looks like it could fly off. weeeeird. Is that supposed to happen? I could only observe so much going 30 and looking down with a helmet on, but it looked like it was a mm or two above the variator.

So something else is making that sound. Took it apart again and everything is where it should be.. The ramp doesn't jiggle around or move, it's super tight. The locking plastic washers are on the starter clutch posts.

What do?

Re: More variating variatorness dinging

Do you have an assortment of weights to play with? Lighter is usually more low end pick up. Heavier might be why it rides so high, is the top side of the belt hitting somewhere because its so high?

Julie the Wizard /

I didn't see anything hitting the belt, but I can't say for sure. I don't have any other weights to play with that aren't cracked, no.

Julie the Wizard /

I could also really use a tool that isn't a vice grip to get that big nut off. haha

What size is it, measure it if you don't know. show pictures .

Julie the Wizard /

I figured out one answe.r

It rides so hide because of how it was notched. I just realized that before I switched things up, the notched vario I received from harvey had three washers between the drive faces to restrict the faces from coming too close together because they have a ridiculous amount of travel with the notch.

I wonder if that means the notch is deep and the washers were there to prevent the ramp plate from coming out so far that the weights would get chewed up on the outer edge.

I'll take pictures.

Julie the Wizard /

Shit. Just measured the window cut, 12-13mm.

Excuse me while I go hide under blankets and proceed to curse silently for a few hours.

The belt should ride just slightly above. Washers would help protect the weights from getting jammed under the sharp edge of the ramp plate. This would gouge them and possibly stick the pulley at full travel, it happens when you notch. To combat it people have run oversized weights, or I suppose limiting washers.

The size of the windows or how far into the pulley wall the ramps run has nothing to do with it. Sounds like it was done right. Its just that getting the weights out that far will get them stuck or cut. You could try rounding the edge of your ramp plate for piece of mind.

As for the sound... Beats me. So many things could make that sound.

I was talking about the size or the nut, Bunny.

35mm, or 2 3/8.

1 3/8?, That's 35mm , 2 3/8 is 60.33mm. my biggest one is 2 3/16, 55.5mm

D'oh sorry I mashed a 2. Yes 1 3/8.

Julie the Wizard /

Thanks, guys.

I figured it out. The belt was riding so high that it was wobbling at high speeds and dinging.

putting the washers back on have prevented it from travelling too far, and the weights seemed fine and happy.

Switched back to my stock carb and I'm blasting again. Wheee.

The...belt.. was dinging? Do you mean to say that the belt traveled high enough to reach something on the subrame?

Great!

Neil Burgess /

Those washers are important if it was Harvey's vario- they are like his trademark :>) I tried 2 different notched pulleys I had done with mediocre results. Ended up with windowing a 3rd vario- I like it better on both the stocker and the kitted bike. Lots of precise dremel work. But it limits the weight travel and eliminates sticking, binding, and torn up weight caps. I run a stock belt in there and you saw how well it worked on my yellow hobbit.

Neil Burgess /

This is the one-

(edited)

IMG_20140210_141536_470.jpg

Julie the Wizard /

Yeah, that is a sexy window right there. I don't think I could be that precise even if I tried.

YEah, the belt was dinging. I can't explain it. I don't know what it was hitting or what was happening, but as soon as I added the washers back in it stopped dinging, so whatever.

Yeah, it was Harvey's vario so I guess his trademark lives on, I can't get rid of em.

Dirty30 Dillon /

On my vespa bikes, the belt will slap at idle but I've never heard it at full throttle.

i would check to see if the dinging is coming from the rear pulley being over-travel and binding up.

the contra pulley has just slightly more travel than the front pulley, so if the front pulley goes too far, it will put too much pull in the belt and a thrust on the crankshaft and driveshaft (trans input shaft) which is bad bad bad.

(3 bad)

the 12, 10 mm measurement i'm guessing is based on my blog or a similar account of how to notch variators.

if you cut past that, you'll end up with the problem as described, weights travelling too much. I don't know if its better to have the window big and counteract with washers, or cut the window smaller, i haven't tried the 'harvey' method with washers to compare. sounds like folks are running it and it is satisfactory.

Neil Burgess /

Julie if you send me an unmolested vario and a taillight I'll window it for ya :>)

I do the bigger cuts with a dremel then finish with hand files. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account