vespa gear ratios?

I have the 30 sticker version of the vespa grande, anyone the gear for a varied one? I am considering whether i should get race gears.

Re: vespa gear ratios?

the race gears will not make much difference if you already have the 30 mph set.

Dirty30 Dillon /

^^^ False, they make a huge difference. 12:1 versus 9:1 is fucking enormous.

But, if you're just running a stock cylinder or mild kit don't even bother cuz they'll make your bike gutless unless you have the setup to pull it.

If you're looking for a little more top end and a stock bike, look at the 10.73:1 gears which were stock on some euro bikes.

yep I was looking at a slight step up maybe. I have a DR in mine now , I have a DEPS sitting here with a 17.5 polini CP carb I was thinking of installing. just don't want to make my bike the gutless wonder taking off from the light. Lately I have been topping out at 41 and I like to be able to do 45.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Is your DR matched and intake ported? My stock cylinder, circuit exhaust and 10.73:1 gears Ciao PX hits 36.

The 10.73:1's are really nice for a little.pick up, but you'll want to tune your clutch/variator either way.

yep, DR is matched to the case and the intake is ported and cleaned up some.

I hit 56mph on a DR65, calibrata and malossi gears. Pulled pretty amazing too. Also rode it for pinball!

11:1 is plenty though... I was touching 50 with 11:1, proma, DR65. Cut crank though! Cut crank = awesome.

Anything but malossi is a waste of your time. Helical cut gears in the vespa trans = explosion.

by the way, the malossi gears and stock gears are the only straight cut gears. That's why anything but stock and malossi are a waste of time (in my opinion). Look at the photos on treats and you'll see the difference.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Helical gears aren't that bad as long as you're using a full set of shims, aka one thrust washer on the end of each gear. While you are getting side loads in the case, as long as you have those in there and all your bbearings are tight, I doubt it'd get enough deflection for boomboom, and it definitely won't bite through the case (which IS possible)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account