Dirtbike style forks that can fit a motobecane

Cristian Luna /

So I have a vlx frame that I'm gonna be putting a crazy av10 motor on and I want to make it look like a modern version so I need some nice forks it will be seeing the dirt

Re: Dirtbike style forks that can fit a motobecane

kx80.

Cristian Luna /

So if I did a whole front end of a kx80 with disk brake and all which I want but it's a 19 inch rim and I'm running 16 inch tomos rims in the back so I think it will sit a little funny I'm gonna put high backer shocks on it do you think that will level it out ?

Its a 17in rim. And, yes, the whole thing.

Cristian Luna /

I'm most likely gonna go with a kx80 front end but is there any other alternatives ?

Dirty30 Dillon /

I mean the kx80's are gonna be nice, but any dirtbike fork is going to need either the fork or the headtube to be modded.

Just saying.

Any <110 cc dirtbike fork will be cool

My hobbit did not, the motobecane will be the same/similar. I had to shim a bearing race and bolted it on. The forks needed to be shortened quite a lot for road use but that is assumed being a dirt bike and all.

Dirty30 Dillon /

DPC Ryan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My hobbit did not, the motobecane will be the

> same/similar. I had to shim a bearing race and

> bolted it on. The forks needed to be shortened

> quite a lot for road use but that is assumed being

> a dirt bike and all.

Hmmmm, I did not realize that. The KX80 has caged ball bearings? I woulda thought it was a conical roller.

actually kx65 forks are a much easier swap, you just need to take less than 10mm off the head tube and you can use some 1" bicycle bearings and it will drop right in. also kx80 forks are giant.

The kx80 are conical rollers... And that's why you take them off, use your moped races and call it a day.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Boom, knowledged.

Cristian Luna /

Cool thanks for all the help I'm gonna look into the kx65 forks also

Have any of you used the kx65 forks yet?

I was thinking of upgrading my moby traveler and wanted some feedback.

Bolts on to French/hobbit/vespa frames super easy. Uses standard 1" bearings so you can find nice bicycle head sets. They are about the same length as magnum forks as well, maybe like an inch longer I don't remember.

Some kx80 are drum 17" , some disc 17" , and the kx80n "big wheel" or "large wheel" are 19" disc.

Some have air valves on top, some dont

The 17" drum set i have are 33mm tubes and the big wheel is 35mm

And the big wheel set seem to have a flatter geometry, slightly lower angle between stem and tubes. If you run the tubes above the top triple tree, they and the handlebars will interfere.

Some 17" older style are originally set up for spherical bearings, and the lower race sits on a 28mm shoulder as opposed to the conical big wheel setup which is ~24.75 which a stock pug race ID (~26.5mm) will slide over with room for a stem shim.

If you have the option, get a complete rig, and measure it yo see what kind of mods youre gonna want to do.

I dont know the exact years but the 90's kx80 forks tubes are 35mm dia which is a bit big for mopeds in my opinion. late 80's are 33 which are a good size.

There are also cr80, yz80 and rm80 to look at

what is the steerer tube diameter and length on stock mobys?

Monster Mopedz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I dont know the exact years but the 90's kx80

> forks tubes are 35mm dia which is a bit big for

> mopeds in my opinion. late 80's are 33 which are a

> good size.

>

thanks for clarifying the otherwise confusing information in my post immediately preceding your reply.

length is like 200-220 or something close to that, but the diameter is for sure 25mm

My mid 90s tubes are a beefy 38mm and I love them.

you should buy a kx80, cr80, whatever.

the whole bike.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account