Honda Athena spacer thickness

Ok so I soft seized my DR and no one is carrying a replacement. So if I gotta buy a kit... Might as well get an Athena is where I'm leaning. Well the spacer isn't up for sale anymore so does anyone know the thickness of it so I can properly space out the kit with thick gasket material? Thx

Re: Honda Athena spacer thickness

Don't, cut your head like it's supposed to be.

You mean by milling the head down?

No I mean by cutting the squish band into the combustion chamber to clear the piston dome. That is all that's needed. Milling the head would make the issue worse.

Sell me blown up dr for cheap?

Not sure exactly what u are saying. With my Athena, I needed a .8 mlm spacer sandwiched between two Athena specific paper gaskets for the base. That allowed the transfers to clear the piston at bdc. Now whether the piston needs to be completely below the transfers at bdc is an issue that I am pretty sure will engender much debate. If you do what I did then it's pretty necessary to either deck the kit or do the Mars type of head mods. If ya don't bother with the base treatment I described the whole shebang could be bolt on. The Athena transfers don't match the Athena as the stock case is smaller. I am using cheetachromes Athena modded cases so with my set up my transfer interval and the transfer size is maximized. Whether this is all a good idea vs slapping on the Undecked kit onto cheeta's cases is an open question. With the stock case I was using and a moped factory head I was able to gps the bike on the flats at 56 mph. The new setup awaits me finishing my frame mods.

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

Marc Friedman is an idiot. You only need the base spacer if you don't have a proper squish band cut in to your head. You can do this yourself or you can buy a modded motzing head from treats or maybe send him your stock one to have it done.

Correct. The spacer is a cop out for people that can't or won't do the head right. The spacer also bumps your port timing up unnecessarily high, the kit already has pretty high timing. Saying that the piston must clear the ports is a ridiculous my generalized statement that people use any time some uses the word spacer. Every kit is different and just jacking up the kit to clear the ports could drastically throw off the way the cylinder was designed to run or what you even bought it for I'm the first place.

Also, let's say that raising the cylinder WERE good for it (and I'm not). You would have to deck the kit to bring the head back down. You have now had to do more than double the work necessary.30 min with a dremel and a steady hand is all it takes to cut your head.

Whoa I pretty clearly stated that a base plate wasn't needed if ya didn't worry about clearing the ports at bdc. I did my kit a while ago when I knew even

Less than I know now. If I did the kit today I would have slapped it on and only adjust the squish then seen how it ran.

On my stocko shocko hobbit the transfer interval was clearly inadequate and the spacer fixed things up nicely.

I've always wondered if the moped top end kits were actually thought out and

Run by the manufacturer or simply canabalized from other applications. I find it kind of impossible that Athena actually built a high performance hobbit motor and ran it to see what needed to be done to make it right. So where the piston is at bdc is something I think that they didn't exactly consider. But if anybody who has first hand Experience at their foundry could comment? Preceed!!

Ever look at all the Athena heads that fit their kit!!! They are scooter heads!!! Made for engines with different strokes.

And a different kit. Those heads were made available simply for the stud spacing. Athena never intended for it to be put on a moped. The fact that it fits the Hobbit means nothing, so does my Minarelli LC head.

So are you saying that it's an accident that the Athena kit fits a hobbit case?

No I am saying it's coincidence that the Athena scooter head does.

Do ya think they were designing the Athena kit with a hobbit bottom end in front of them?

No I think they made it for a Camino. :P Really they likely designed it with a specific power output model in mind, which although the bottom end will influence, still has parameters that don't rely on which bike is being used. Port timing for one. Once you know what you want the kit to have, modifying the geometry to fit a specific stroke is not the complicated part. They also knew that to achieve the power they wanted it to produce, the transfers had to be larger, the piston dome had to be bigger, and you had to have a brain to apply it.

Hm I still get head tapping if I just use one gasket on my athena with Grahams head. My squish is like 1.0 at that point so it should easily clear but when i put load on it i believe the rod stretch leads to the head tap. I currently have 2 cut your own base gaskets to eliminate head tapping.

If you think you have 1mm squish and your head makes contact, then you are likely not measuring the squish properly. Or, you have a bad rod bearing, but that would likely make a. Horrible sound of its own.

are u sure its his 47.6 version? maybe put some kind of chalk or something to exactly pin point the exact area of contact. also if you pull the head with the spark plug tight is the plug sitting a bit too deep. especially if it happens to he a helicoiled head. u can try a bu8h if there is a clearance issue and you dont want to mess with the threads. one other possible fix is to keep the oem plug sealin ring and run a temp gauge in addition. yea its not what trailtech says to do but it works. if the treads are good and if helicoiled the coil is tight i would be thinking of my above suggestions. but hey im a noobie.

if them piston at tdc is even the slightest below the deck a single athena head gasket should suffice. and of course if it aint a 46.7 head gasket u r gonna have this condition too. i know u know all this but for others who might reference this i add this for completeness.

yea I have the standard large athena hobbit kit, I measure my squish with by squishing a piece of solder and taking a digital gauge to it.

Did you put the solder through the plug hole, parallel to the wrist pin and extended all the way to the very edge of the bore? Also you say a standard kit, but the head gasket point is good unless you are using the one it came with. I had issues with even a 46mm gasket causing contact. The plug depth is also something to think about. If you pull the plug and kick the bike over do you get contact?

tyler if he adds the base plate he will have my set up which somebody already reamed my ass over! as in the port timing which i simply dont know whether is valid. my engine is finished and would require a major effort to get accurate timing wheel numbers at this point. the base plate makes a significant port timing change that if i had the time and determination would require another athena kit that i didnt deck the kit to a spacer to get my squish. anybody wanting to mail me their undecked athena kit to compare at some [point is welcome . haha i promise to get it back to you within ten years.

I would sell you my running one, currently on my express. Hell I will even throw in the hand cut Hobbit head it uses.

heh i top out at 50 (9,500rpms) cant get it variate all the way even on the stand. Might be a timing issue. pulley seems fine.

That is way too slow, for way too many rpm. I remember running 49 at less than 9k. Top speed over 60 was still only mid 9s

I average 50 now (non tucked)(flat or uphill), don't get the second kick of the pipe anymore, since I switched to a TM24/trick-metric/4pedal. RPM's about 8400-8500.

I don't mind, been super reliable so far. 200 miles and kit still looks new

I use 1mm spacer and 2 0.50mm gaskets (edited)

Neil Burgess /

With my Athena I used the high comp metrakit head(Graham's relocators worked great for the stud spacing). I did my own case alumaweld job like cheetah's cases and thoroughly case matchedall the way down, not just chamfered. I also dowel pinned the cyl to case, and pinned the head to the cyl so nothing could move around( a benefit to keeping the 6mm studs!)

I would have had piston to head contact with a single base gasket- so I did some ball sanding in the head and got it out to about .3 squish. Then I cut my own "spacer" out of sheet metal that was around .53 thick. That combined with 2 thin base gaskets- single Athena head gasket- I thought it'd be too much but when it was all finally torqued down I ended up with about .8 squish in the end. I'm guessing I'm somewhere in between going deep in the head and/or decking the cyl with the 1mm spacer. A happy medium-

With TJT, H95, stock belt, and still using the single .35 reed on hogged out stock reed block, 21 dellorto kit, 77cdi w/jog box I already had. Temps are low 400's after extended wot, on hot days maybe 435.

I've already put about 600-700 miles on it since the build- still ripping HARD and easily out front among the fastest bikes at any ride or rally(some go faster overall but no-one can touch me till I top out). Pulls my 210lbs and it's own hefty weight(hydro forks, mag wheels, disc brake, etc...) up to 55 sitting upright with face blistering acceleration. A tuck gets me in the 60's on flat ground- Have gone over 70 but that was downhill.

That right there is the way they should run, and pretty much exactly my experience on less pipe and more carb.

Neil if I sent you my case halves could I pay you to alumaweld them? I don't have access to that stuff here and I need to case match to my polini

I could send you the remainder of what I have... You can order the stuff too. Its not terribly expensive, and only takes a short time to get used to using. Doing my cases I found that my torch was on the border of too small to heat the direct area needed. I ended up with the whole case half so hot that the engine mount bushings fell right out and yet I still had to work on a very small area at a time to get full penetration and bonding.

See if cheeta has a set of halves still. His stuff is amazing

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account