Vespa gods please inquire. I am lost.

Wolf Wizard /

okay its a long tale, but here it be.

>Buddy who does not have an account got a nice vespa bravo for.

>no pipe, whatever.

>buys circuit pipe and new belt

>we get it running

>22 all day baby

>okay lets make it go fast

>he saves money

>13:13 sha and multivar vario setup.

>does like 26 and will only variate on stand

>put stock spring back in

>no change

>get 8g weights (came with 6g)

>nothing

>why the fuck wont it variate.

>he bought race gears and finally got around to putting them in

>fuck it maybe it just can't hit the rpm to variate because it will on the stand when you rev the piss out of it.

>64cc Polini with head.

>still has 8g weights.

>upjetted a bunch.

>still only does 27 and will not variate under load.

what are we doing wrong.

been scratching our heads with it for a few weeks now.

Re: Vespa gods please inquire. I am lost.

do you have a single speed rear transmission?

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

^^this ha ha ha ha....................

Wolf Wizard /

both will variate when it's on the stand. and even if it was a single speed that speed with a polini don't seem right

Wizards Nathan Wohlfeil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >we get it running

> >22 all day baby

This is where you went wrong. should have gotten it running properly stock first, then should have been doing 30+ with just the pipe. leaks, jetting, a number of things come to mind.

Wolf Wizard /

we can't find leaks but the next thing on the list was a leak down text to see if it is a seal or something. jetting we're getting good readins with and no 4 stroking.

Air leaks make shit 4 stroke, Ye'all's fuckedy Up.

Sell it before you kill it.

***VANILLA BLUNDER*** /

What belt? Points gap? Clutch grabbing?

Race gears are almost as useless as stock 12:1 gears. 10.75:1 is the money gear. You fucked up buying a polini, Dr is the kit for these bikes. You should get a euro clutch with 90mm pulleys.

My vespa did 52, broke the subframe but still lives on and it was my favorite moped ever.

Malossi belts only, point gap to .015", and euro clutch with a new contra and clutch springs and you'll be happy as fuck cause your bike will rip.

I never even had a temp gauge! I would just let it soft seize til I had it tuned right.

***VANILLA BLUNDER*** /

Did 52 on 12:1 gears, and a 41mm dr. The polini is an excellent kit. The problem is never "throw more money at it" and it certainly doesn't help him saying he fucked up. Take it all apart and start over, it's probably something g simple. The malossi gears will kill your low end and are really only for 46mm kits. His belt may be too worn out or too tight, his points may not be opening enough, or the rear spring is not opening properly. Keep trying.

Wolf Wizard /

thanks derek, i think that is the plan. put everything stock back on and try and get it to rip from there. then put the aftermarket stuff back on

will report back.

What size tire and what rear pulleys? I had 16x2.5" and 90s to get to 52. And stock cases just opened up to 13 with the intake patch opened up. Did you cut the crank yet?

While you are at it, ditch the Malossi variator and go Polini.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I'll agree with the other heads here, you should have made it run stock. If the var was restricted, grind that brass collar down.

Something is internally wrong with that setup, if you didn't crack the cases you shoulda'. Two bearings, one seal, and a gasket to know your shit is drum tight.

Along that same vein, did you change the intake timing? the 70's vespas pretty much all could use the intake patch opened up, no matter what sized bore.

^^^ I haven't found anything wrong with the malossi variator. It's definitely not built as well as the Polini, but for a not monster build It's a great, cheaper alternative.

Wolf Wizard /

what is this crank cutting? we have not cut anything on the crank.

Learn to do some research Freak so your post wont show just how stupid you is in the head. (edited)

sorry some people aren't very nice on here.

if you haven't started taking things apart yet and still have all the performance stuff on the bike. get some lighter weights man. 6g and 8g sound way too heavy.

you gotta go lighter. try like 3 or 4 gram and if you are able to get your RPMs up A) you'll be going faster B) you'll probably variate more but possibly not all the way. i'd really recommend getting a weight set so you can try a whole bunch of things out.

since you already have 8g and 6g you can get this polini set which has some lower gram in a decent range: https://www.treatland.tv/polini-16-x-13-rollers-set-p/polini-16x13-rollers-242.411.htm

i've got one of these sets that seems to work pretty well. it's about the same amount of money but you'll get a wider range of weights: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50cc-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-VARIATOR-ROLLER-KIT-FOR-SCOOTERS-WITH-50cc-QMB139-MOTORS-/171167017885?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item27da596b9d&vxp=mtr

i like to put two different weight sets in my variator. so maybe try three 4 gram and three 6 gram, etc. obviously you want to alternate the weights so that your still balanced.

lastly, if you have a malossi variator you really need a malossi belt. there's really nothing better for that variator in my opinion. you'll be a lot happier when riding the moped, and MUCH happier when trying to start the moped. anyways, good luck. hope you figure it out

Kevin Bishop /

^ this, lighter weights are the way to go, I did this on two vespas and had great results. about 3.5 g aluminum in a stock variator for kitted and 4.5g for stock cylinders.

I was curious about an update, how is the vespa doing?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account