E50 + Airsal kit, temp sensor lies? Or running COLD 4 real?

Hello, I have a question about my Airsal kitted Puch.

On an aggressive WOT ride I can't really get the temperature gauge to read over 190°F.

But afterwards, the heat-soak when stationary climbs up to about 275°F. To me that seems arse-about-face.

Am I just getting inaccurate temp readings because of cooling air flow over the sensor when riding? It's a spark plug washer K-type thermocouple and gauge. Calibrated OK.

Or is my engine really running too cold? Could I unleash extra power by leaning or advancing timing? Or is that just tempting fate!

What temp sensors and locations do the people use? I'm thinking of trying out a 6mm sensor under a head nut, the one shielded from wind behind the exhaust bracket maybe

---

Info on the bike:

79 Maxi, Airsal 70cc kitted E50 kickstart, stock head, Bing replica 15mm (with drilled slide holes to idle, because of a shitty replica 220 tube), Metal mesh cone filer, real Proma Circuit. NGK B7HS. Compression over 150psi, tho I need to repeat that test again. Kit was foolishly not case-matched. Guess I'll do it when the rod bearing dies...

WOT is pretty strong and it runs clean, plug chop looks OK maybe even slightly rich. 40:1 semi-synth mix (still on break in) and main jet is 86 with a 220 tube. Still trying to source a 217 tube for my replica 4mm jets...

Timing is at 16° BTDC set with timing light and measured TDC method (had to dremel the stator slots). Points and plug gap both at 0.4mm.

GPS recorded top speed 38mph. Stock 16:45 gearing. WOT Accel seems quite good, good WOT torque so it climbs hills no problem (I want to upgear), tho mid throttle not great- still playing with needle settings.

And the spring bracket on the luggage rack is missing.

Re: E50 + Airsal kit, temp sensor lies? Or running COLD 4 real?

The bike

The gauge

The sensor

The chop

Overpriced Parts /

Ya not a trail tech so it's way off. everything I tried other than the trail tech head temp gauge was off by 100°F on a puch .

Might as well have no gauge at all for what your running is way off .

You're not tuned or jetted correctly either but that won't make the temperatures as far off as what they are now.

Interessant I wonder what makes a Trailtech so much better? Is it a smaller thinner sensor maybe for quick response?

Would appreciate any tips for improving the tuning, this is my first moped so still fairly inexperienced

cool dashboard tho

grab one of these, almost always on sale for $25, and with 20% coupon can be around $20

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-69465-8905.html

useful for so many things, checking engine surface temps, checking case/crank/bearing temps to see if they're heated up enough for assembly, etc (edited)

p.s. the way your bike looks is inspring me to get to this one

yeah i guess it's got the ratt look. will look into the IR gun thanks.

but i'm still baffled by what special magic a trail tech has over regular temp sensors

ps did my 1st commute on it today, ~11 miles to work, often takes 30-45 mins in the car due traffic, only 20 mins on the puch via back roads. could do with a little extra topspeed but i'm chuffed with it for a 1st attempt. if I can learn to tune better i will try a polini

proma circuit pipe: ground clearance today i found is not so great

i have the airsal 50cc kit, 14 bing, techno circuit...when i put my TT on it the highest i ever got it to read was 295...that was going 36 wot for about 2 miles

so i got 44mph by gps after up gearing to 18/45 . seems reasonable for the kit and no case work. hoping to build a rito / polini they seem to get recommended on here. is cdi really needed?

Overpriced Parts /

matt madden Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i have the airsal 50cc kit, 14 bing, techno

> circuit...when i put my TT on it the highest i

> ever got it to read was 295...that was going 36

> wot for about 2 miles

36 mph with a 14mm bing and techno circuit pipe is terrible

You should be at low 40s mph so maybe your so rich or so retarded timing that your making no power as well as no temps

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account