Variates too early...how to fix

Matt Grantonic /

I have a Vespa Grande (30 mph version), Techno pipe and a malossi air box...everything else is stock. It runs great but it seems that once the speed gets below 28 or so, it really tanks. I removed 2 of the roller weights and the RPMs stay high and holds the speed much better. I did not want to leave this way the 2 weights missing so I figured that if I drilled out each weight I can get back to the 3 weights version. I started drilling out the weights (slowly increasing the size) but its still variates too early. I actually have the brass weights drilled to the point where its more or less a thin tube, but I still cannot get to the 3 weight version that works. Any thoughts? Am I on the right track? I figured that slowly drilling out the brass in steps I could get there...wrong. Help?

Re: Variates too early...how to fix

If by too early you mean that you are not reaching the rpm you desire, then yes you need to go lighter. You should check your rear pulley to be sure that the contra spring hasn't broken or collapsed. Most stock variated bikes though have VERY heavy stock weights, and will require quite a lot less to get the higher rpm power. On my bike (not a vespa) had about 32g, and I run ~16. An NU50 I worked on had over 50 grams! and runs 18-20 now..

I have 1982 urban express if I put a BX31 on it will I snap the crankshaft?

You'll snap your neck, but no threadjacking fag, you will not.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Steve, post up a new thread, this one is kinda about something completely different.

It doesn't matter if the stock spring is soft, that just means you can use lighter weights, which means less weight on the crank and better all around longevity.

Eat shit needle Dick!

Dirty30 Dillon /

steven depin Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have 1982 urban express if I put a BX31 on it

> will I snap the crankshaft?

Yeah, if you change belts your crank will snap off.

Matt Grantonic /

Thanks for all the great info guys.

It's funny how most would not have the spine to speak that way to someone's face, but somehow can do it behind a keyboard.

Have a little class and let's act like grown ups here!

I tell my boys, when people resort to 4 letter words, they cannot think of anything more intelligent to say...I rest my case!

Like “Funkenet” Hosfield /

I have a hobbit variator will it snap too? Leicas are overpriced.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

(Ca$$eroller$) Luke Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have a hobbit variator will it snap too? Leicas

> are overpriced.

Your crap runs so shitty shitty bang bang, it will snap your crank at start up.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account