Puch Maxi, Hard to Start, Won't Stay Running

I'm new to the moped world and a noob when it comes to mechanics. But my Maxi is difficult to start (mind you that the moped is without the items needed for a pedal start, I'm forced to bump start for the time being) and the engine will not stay running until it is sufficiently warmed up. I'm guessing this may be the result of low compression, and if so what do I need to fix it?

Re: Puch Maxi, Hard to Start, Won't Stay Running

Have you cleaned the carburetor? Does the carburetor have a choke or idle screw?

No I have not. Yes it's a choke.

Like “Funkenet” Hosfield /

Check for air leaks.

First step: read the wiki on this website and learn some stuff. These little two stroke engines can be finicky cunts.

Go to any hardware/VIP/NAPA and pick up some carburetor/choke cleaner and clean your carburetor.

You can also use the carburetor cleaner to check for air leaks.

Read this: http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Air_leak

If you are afraid you will mess something up ask for help from an adult. If you're 16 like your profile says and still in high school, bring your carburetor to school and ask the work shop/mechanic teacher to walk you through it.

Good luck.

Overpriced Parts /

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Fred%27s_Guide

Your air fuel mixture is off I bet you're not running full airbox and snorkel are you?

These bikes were jetted to run for restrictive airbox and snorkel otherwise that air fuel mix is off you will need to upjet your carburetor if you have any different Airbox/filter or pipe combination then stock .

You need to post your whole set up. Is it kitted? is it stock ? what hp? what pipe ? what carb ? what timing etc.

I don't know much about it, the previous owner didn't know much either, but I think e50 engine is stock - 50 cc for sure, I have a bing carburetor, bing hi-flo foam air filter (after-market obviously), what I think is a tecno boss pipe, and no idea what horsepower.

Overpriced Parts /

Yeah so with the high flow filter and aftermarket exhaust you're running Lean/bad you need to upjet your carburetor for correct fuel air mixture.

Put the choke on a little bit if it runs a little better with the choke on that means you're running lean

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account