Urban variator

garrett truebenbach /

I have an 83 urban stock 50cc with pipe and vm20 with a 200 jet and runs great only prob is with the stock belt but it only does like 33 on a flat and I think the only reason is the gearing so I bought a 31 belt but take forever to accelerate . I think I need to put lighter wheights in the vario but I don't know how to do that where to get them or wich ones I need / fit on it

Re: Urban variator

16x13 weights, treatland, get a scale.

Probably too large of a carb as well for a stock cylinder.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Whoa, that's a fat jet you're running. Sounds like you've got a leak somewhere that's killing your power and being overcompensated with jetting.

I don't even know what a urban is, but it's dual variated right?

If so, going down from the stock 33 to a 31 belt would just fuck up the variators range and could snap the crank. Thats if the numbers you are posting are refering to belt length.

The bx31 is not actually 31 inches long.

Jet sounds fat too. I noticed that was odd as well?

garrett truebenbach Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have an 83 urban stock 50cc with pipe and vm20

> with a 200 jet and runs great only prob is with

> the stock belt but it only does like 33 on a flat

> and I think the only reason is the gearing so I

> bought a 31 belt but take forever to accelerate .

Forget my last post, I somehow read this as your stock belt was a 33 and now you are running a 31...

garrett truebenbach /

So I opened the variator and there is like grease all inside covering the weighs Is that suppose to be like that I will post a pic in the morning but if I put new weights should I leave the grease/oil in or clean it out

Yes the pulley is greased and the dust cover has a gasket. The grease is for low maintenance and long life of the weights.

Take half of the stock weights out, It takes a few minutes and is a big improvement. Might not get you to where you want to be but it's a quick free mod.

garrett truebenbach /

I did take half out it runs a lot better

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Put a yellow 1,500rpm contra spring in the back.

Your cylinder is stock so start with 5gram rollers.

and do some porting.

garrett truebenbach /

The yellow spring will that just make the clutch grab later ?

No it will resist the weights and make them act lighter. You are thinking of clutch springs.

Kevin Bishop /

take a 1/8' or 3/16" drill bit and drill out the center of your weights then maybe ramp and put windows in your vaiator

The pulley is a 6 roller, don't just throw hobbit tactics out and transplant them. There is really no need to notch or window anything. The bike will outgear the power it makes long before that.

Kevin Bishop /

Then get rid of the grease and go with graphite instead.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account