Learn 2 tune Hobbit

Julie the Wizard /

Hey, that's me! I'm a noob! Fuck.

So I've gone over Crazy Wayne's info, and messed with my timing a bit before I upjetted to try and get it more lean. Prior to upjetting, I feel like I could handle hills pretty well, no significant issue. top end was good, I could hit 35 pretty easily, sometimes 37 or 40 on a long enough stretch.

My setup is a a dual stage reed set (for stockers), notched vario, proma circuit, stock 49cc, points.

Stalled out while going uphill and thought it was overheat, but it was actually probably just gunk in my carb, because when I finally drilled out the screws and cleaned the carb, it was full of black gunk left over from the 30yr old gas that was in it.

Which would explain why I stalled a couple times. Oops. Well, the carb's off, I thought I'd bump up anyways.

So I took out the 78 and put in an 80. I -feel- like there's a difference, now. Loss of power, I think it's still timing. I did a plug chop on an older plug after going up a mountain for about half a mile at WoT and couldn't read it with my flashlight, so I swapped plugs and went home.

Reading the plug now, it looks pretty okay, it's had too much use to read that well. The neck inside of the threading is all smokeringed up beyond what I can read, but the top of the threading was a brownish-white that still looked a little lean.

There's no point to really posting pictures of it because it wasn't really a done-proper plug chop, so I'm going to head to auto parts soon to buy like 10 spark plugs and more carb cleaner. I'm also going to advance the timing like another mm to see if that makes any difference.

I'm aware I'm tuning this stupidly, and don't need to know that I am tuning it stupidly. I know. I'd like to know if anyone has any tips? I know about swapping the plug right before going WoT for a while to get a good reading and to hit the power switch /before/ going to idle to not tamper with the result.

I also know that the timing should be done before upjetting, and I tried to do that to the best of my ability, it's just hard.

Also know there's less oxygen in the engine now because I didn't change the intake, so the burn is slower, which is why I'm moving it away from tdc to get and earlier ignition to get full power. I think this is the right move? I want to ignite earlier to get all the fuel to burn, to get all the power. If I added more air, I'd want to retard the timing (I think?) But I am not adding more air. One thing at a time.

Re: Learn 2 tune Hobbit

You need to put that stock jet back in, especially at your altitude. You are rich regardless of timing.

Julie the Wizard /

Aaargh. Seriously? I didn't account for altitude or air.

I thought when you went to a proma you upjetted. I should go back down to 78?

Only rarely does anybody upjet. The hobbit rolled off the floor with such a fat jet that some people have to run the air filter tray pulled out some just to get it moving. Hell, on my bike the proma, AND losing the air filter tray (taped the hole shut) brought the mixture back to a perfect coffee color on the plug. In the winter I did have to plug one of the snorkel holes though.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

78 will work fine with the promo till you do some porting.

if you're really worried about hi temps with the 78, run saber 80:1 (or leaner) and/or the bu8h plug that Crazy Wayne recommends, and throw on a new fuel filter and fuel line if you haven't already. (edited)

Where s this mentioned crazy Wayne hobbit tuning guide?

Where s this mentioned crazy Wayne hobbit tuning guide?

click on his profile page and read up

campeona del mundo /

bu8h doesnt work well with points. stick with a b6!

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

If the BU8H ant working you have a weak condenser and or out of phase stater timing.

Just for the record, I have soft seized a stock setup by slapping on a proma and not upjetting.

Milage may vary...

Hi Will!!!!!!!!!!

I ate rings after 20 mile one way trips to work wide open, for a week... after putting hundreds of miles on.

I've seized the shit out a hobbit from not upjetting with a pipe. It was fine for a while, but then one day rrrrraaahhhhphm, started back up and made it home. Thats not to say it didn't try to leave me stranded seizing another 7 times by the time I made it home. At one point I locked it up and wasn't near a puddle to kick water at to cool her off again so I just peed on it.

Emil Kniemel /

The wiki link is super but before ya go too far look at a fresh plug and make sure it isn't white and super lean. That can save an expensive moment. Julie are you simply changing the point gap for your timing or are you somehow rotating the stator or not using a key with the flywheel? That little ring of clear electrode on the top is Wayne's idea of good timing, I think.

My shop manual says 1 jet size down for over 2000Ft. I cross a mountain behind my house that goes to 3000 Ft and never thought why it would lean out a little up there. How high up are you Julie?

Air is thinner. Less air, less fuel. Your bike also makes less power up there too, independent of the fuel intake.

HOW YOU DOING JBOT!!!!!!!

OEBSCAOY! 4ever!

Daniel '' Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> At one point I locked it

> up and wasn't near a puddle to kick water at to

> cool her off again so I just peed on it.

Lol

<I've seized the shit out a hobbit from not upjetting with a pipe,so I just peed on it. > time to put down the pipe. (edited)

I think it's best to pee on the motor before it seizes!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account