condenser problem?

I have a 78 motron with a minerelli motor and a 80 tomos a3sp and when i run both for a few miles they quit..sometimes they fire up and sometimes they dont,does this sound like a condenser getting hot? they both are getting fuel.if so caN I PUT AN EXTERNAL CONDENSER ON THEM TO FIX THE OVERHEATING PROBLEM

Re: condenser problem?

When its hot and wont start, you getting spark?

Im not extremely familiar with ways capacitors fail but if there is some temperature dependent internal shorting going on for sure that could put em out.

Id tell you run the bikes without the condenser see if they stay lit, but that tends to fry points..

It might be a secondary coil problem also. They can get warm and expand, a broken wire inside may touch when cold but upon expansion they part. Sometimes you can see cracks in the plastic of the coil that indicate it is no good. It is it the original coil ?

If the condenser is shorting internally, it will have to be taken out of the circuit before you can remedy the trouble, even with an external one.

if the condencer is original, its 35+ years old..... if its not bad now it will be soon... its one of the first things i change when i get a used ped

Thank you for all your help. Is it possible both bikes are doing the same thing.? When the engine gets hot. The exhaust pipe is not. Is this normal.

The Tomos does not look like it has a ground wire off the coil.

Pipe could be stopped up, does it run the same with it off?

It's possible, but not likely. I'd troubleshoot one at a time mang.

yes,they both have org coils now i have no spark on the tomos,the motron fires up but shuts down after a bit. its just funny that both were doing the same..lol took coil off tomos to check it and the condenser on motron looks like it was hot at one point

yes runs the same even cleaned out ports on jug

It's easy to tell if your condenser is fried, just look and see if your points are arcing really bad when it runs. Yes, you can put an external condenser on, just be sure it's grounded.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account