Polini 64cc as first kit..

Soon I will be starting a total rebuild of my ZA. Everything will be replaced except gears, clutches, flywheel, and crank). I have a new Bing 15mm and was looking at the Polini kit as it's made to run with this carb.

Here is a run down of parts I will be using..

Stock crank with Rito con rod

All new bearings with Polini seals

Atom pucks (because I can't find PAZ pucks)

Flipped 2nd clutch

Polini 64cc kit

Stock points

Bing 15mm (with custom velocity stack)

Estoril exhaust

?x37(smallest I can run with snowflake) gears

What I am aiming for is a top speed of 52-54mph and to be able to ride all day long at 45mph with go take off.

Will this setup get me to my goal?

Re: Polini 64cc as first kit..

Overpriced Parts /

Stock points or nonretarding ignition you will have a hard time maintaining cool head temps for long periods @ full throttle even if you time at 14°, run high 21x35 gearing and have rich jetting

Polini kits nowadays can't hold the heat of casting of old 2005-07 .

Points ignition just runs hot .

You can use points, have shorter blasts @ full throttal just watch your head temp gauge like a hawk .

Case match. Case match. Case match every single transfer.

I'll be case matching for sure. I'll be doing it for the first time and only have hand files, but they should work.

Ken what should I expect from as 19x37 gearing? As for long rides at WOT.. I live in a very small town so I won't have to worry about that.. Haha

Hand files? I hope you have several+ hours to spare. :)

Yeah I enjoy slow work, and focusing.

Overpriced Parts /

19x37 ain't doink. That's practically 18×35 Gearing Pretty much horrible gearing for a polini za50

My polini za50 gearing is 21x35

It's not as high of gearing as it seems, a polini pulls it just fine, helps for cool running and makes better use of first gear other than just a gear to start out with.

I got 3 polini bikes with 21x35 gearing. any other gearing feels like it's over revving and don't give a good downshift when I bomb a corner or go uphill.

Ya get a head temp gauge and you will see hot your bike gets with points ignition and low gearing its like in seconds to melt down sometimes depending on timing setting.

Low RPM pipe, low timing, and high gearing, is the secret to running a cool running bike with points ignition. My points bikes are timed at 14-14.5 degrees btdc but I have two old (2006) castings polini kits/bikes that run cool at way higher timing settings, eight years ago the kits were way better than nowadays.

Well least you got one thing right with the estroil pipe

Ken thanks for the info. I already have the 37 rear gear. Maybe I'll go with either a 21 or 22 front gear, and I'll shoot for 14-14.5 btdc

Joey Hagins Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah I enjoy slow work, and focusing.

Tweaker shit.

If you think you can afford having a moped, you can certainly afford a Dremel.

Overpriced Parts /

Your gonna need a dremel for this:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Charlie Mccharles /

Ken Roff Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Your gonna need a dremel for this:

lol. you'll need a grinding wheel for that. or fit up a chainsaw chain to grind it out for you while you ride!

Cool! Ok I'll start with 21x37 gearing.

$20 dremel tool at harbor freight dude.. when it breaks, and it will, go exchange for another or just man up and buy a dremel

If you really are going to build a Polini mkII and not just tweakin then post pics of the progress of the "build"....

I've started the build thread.. It's called "Kostom Rocket"

Custom...Kustom...Kostom ? ? Tweak...Tweek ? ?

Oh does anyone know if MMM is still making pipes? Thinking about ordering a Destroyer

Motion Meft Mopeds...

Bobby I shot them an email two months ago about making a low to mid range pipe and they never got back to me

-Brian- The Ruffians STL /

Motomatic still makes pipes but they are made to order so expect to wait a few weeks. Totally worth the wait. http://shop.motomaticmopeds.com/product/destroyer-exhaust

Overpriced Parts /

Any pipe other then Proma circuit, tecno circuit, or Estroil will run way hotter with your points ign. Big custom pipes have a big supercharging effect and throw the heat back into the cylinder. I'd say get your bike running first and see if you can control your temps with a low RPM set up before you go to a higher rpm set up. Other then the BK 100 pipe most of those other custom pipes may not do well with a za50 on hills or in traffic when you're in second gear at a speed that is too high for a downshift . It may not pull into the powerband and stall transfers unless you run dangerously low gearing that will damage a za50. You said you want to make a reliable daily runner bike not a science experiment.

I in my mind cannot see why you're even building a polini kit to as your first kit to begin with and on a za50 to boot .

You want to go 0 to a ripper In a few hrs .

You should just get your bike running good stock first, then modified stock, then small kit, then big boy kit like polini and Gila,

Local neighborhood kid last summer did exactly what you want to do and went through 2 polini kits and 2 bottom ends in a week and gave up mopeds.

There is a lot of good info though on moped Army forms and if you follow it you may be able to have a halfway reliable bike

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Ken hes just making Kostom Rocket doorstops.

Well my other choice was a 62cc Malossi kit, but from what I read is slow and over priced

What is the rpm range of an Estoril pipe?

Also I thought MMM's destroyer what a mid range pipe?

It is

So in theory is should work with a ZA motor

Overpriced Parts /

Treats reed kit and estroil pipe for the win

Ken I'm set of an estoril for sure.

Oh one quick question.. And I know you guys are goin to say " why the hell do that?!"

As some may know I am building a Maxi with a vintage '60s Triumph show bike styling. What I am thinking is having the baffle and rear bend cut off and replaced with a triumph exhuast tip to match more with the rest of the parts.

If I can have this done would it affect the performance of the pipe?

image.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

You want to cut the baffle off and run a blunderbuss tip?

Invest in ear plugs.

Can't be louder than my '65 Honda CB160 that had straight pipes and no baffles

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account