Should I put a new air filter on my Tomos A35?

So my 1985 Tomos A35 was running a little rough the other day. When I applied any throttle, it would cause the engine to die.

So I did a quick search on mopedarmy, and someone suggested that I take off my air filter, to see if that could be the problem. So I took it off, and wala, it ran better than ever.

Now I bought a stock air filter for my encarwi carb, and put it in today. It runs better than it did before, like it doesn't die when I add throttle, but not as well as it did when I had no filter in the carb. Before the engine was hot, I was having a little trouble with the whole throttle killing the engine thing. After it warmed up a bit, it got better, but the top speed is only 25 mph (used a GPS).

So that got me thinking. Maybe I should remove my air box and run a bigger air filter? I like the idea of making it louder (no worries about neighbors or anyone complaining), and it ran so well without an air filter in it.

Of course I'm just a 16 year old tinkering around with his 1985 Tomos A35, so I have no clue. Some tips would be appreciated.

Also, if I should put in a new performance air filter, how do I go about it? I heard something about removing the air box.

Once again I have an encarwi carb. Please help me.

Thanks!

Re: Should I put a new air filter on my Tomos A35?

Think about what the bike is telling you. More air flow makes it run better, it bogs when air is restricted, that means too large of a jet. That's mopeds 101 and should be self-evident.

Stop fucking around thinking about silly-ass performance crap until you know what you are doing. Take the time to sit and do your homework. Learn the basic principles of what makes an engine work. Learn how to jet and how to read your plug. The more effort you put into learning that stuff the better off you will be in the future.

Bad Cadillac™ /

Now that you know it runs bettter without it, do as Axideziak said and then put the filter back ON.

Keep it off if you want to create more issues and ruin an engine. No engine is made to have parts taken off of it, they are on there for a reason.

Do some run without a filter sure and that's their choice to do so.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Axldeziak . Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Think about what the bike is telling you. More air

> flow makes it run better, it bogs when air is

> restricted, that means too large of a jet. That's

> mopeds 101 and should be self-evident.

>

> Stop fucking around thinking about silly-ass

> performance crap until you know what you are

> doing. Take the time to sit and do your homework.

> Learn the basic principles of what makes an engine

> work. Learn how to jet and how to read your plug.

> The more effort you put into learning that stuff

> the better off you will be in the future.

Something tells me, it probably has more to due with something being bad than a jetting problem. If he's on here asking, he obviously hasn't changed jets on a stock bike, and probably no one ever has.

Clean the carb and de-clog the pipe, before you do anything else. Make sure everything you have is working before you go and retune the carb to compensate for other malfunctioning systems.

matt boda1nz /

^ this.

Princess Rapunzel /

get a sha 15.15 carb and a tecno circuit. put a little screen over the carb for a fitler. run a 70something jet. you will be the coolest 16 year old i know.

Have you looked here? If you have good go to wiki and look some of your stuff up first and good luck guy. http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:For_Newbies

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account