Garelli polini tuning

Daniel Jenney /

Recently got my polini kit installed on my garelli ssxl. I'm running a 19mm intake mani mated to a 19mm phgb with an emgo filter. The exhaust is the stock header with a jamarcol 28mm power chamber welded on. The engine runs great and has pretty good low and better mid range. I rode it over the weekend following the break in steps in the wiki. I started with a 92 main jet and have up jetted to a 96. The issue is that when I go full throttle it drops off in power and runs shitty. If I let off the throttle it'll come back into the power. Is the jamarcol chamber resticting me since it's using the factory header? Thanks

Re: Garelli polini tuning

I dunno how that combo jets, but it sounds like it's still lean on the throttle, unless it's four-stroking that is, try a 100 or raising the needle see if it helps. (edited)

Daniel Jenney /

Doesn't the needle position mainly regulate idle/mid throttle, where as the main jet is what supplies WOT? Ive looked at the tuning spread sheet and similar setups are running low to mid 90 jet size.

that's bonkers rich. I run an 88 in my 18phbg, weekends, polini noi. Do plug chops or get a temp reading and adjust accordingly. Make sure your shit is timed right- timing before jetting.

Daniel Jenney /

I adjusted timing and point gap, after the re time my temps dropped from 374 down to 340.

that's pretty low for an noi polini which supports me theory of you being way too rich

Daniel Jenney /

Also making me lean towards your theory as up jetting didn't help at all since it was probably too rich to begin with

I'm similar set up at 85 main

Daniel Jenney /

Smallest jet I had at the house was a 90, besides the 85 that came with the carb. With the 90 it definitely helped out and felt better through the top end. Going to get some smaller jets and work my way down, didn't feel comfortable going from 90 to 85. No speedo but free speedo app on my phone said top speed 37. Highest temp 365 (edited)

I'm at 39 with stock gears, but I have some thicker tires on which probably make a gearing a bit taller

Daniel Jenney /

I set timing to where the two lines match up, going to double check it today with a timing light. Does the kit effect timing?

Daniel Jenney Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I set timing to where the two lines match up,

> going to double check it today with a timing

> light. Does the kit effect timing?

I assume you're checking that by the points begin to open when the lines match up? It could look pretty close like that and still be pretty off, especially if your point gap isn't dead on.

it could stand to be retarded a little bit if heat becomes an issue. I run stock timing on my girlfriend's polini bike with a stock head uncut and heat hasn't been an issue. Hovers right around 400* on a long ride. Gets as high as 415ish on long up hills.

as far as gearing goes, that sounds about right. The most I could pull out of the stock 10x36 gearing (even with my malossi kit) was like 41 but with pretty extreme take off. Got my girl's bike 10x30 and it's hitting a nice comfy 46 at like 9-10k-ish. The take off when the trans is cool is still pretty good, but once it's hot the stock clutch rubbers are a real bummer and thanks to shitty internal gearing the pedals are about useless on nois.

Daniel Jenney /

Yea I just followed the steps in the garelli manual after I reset the points to .015. I didn't have a timing light but have since borrowed one from a co worker. The plug still had some dark colorations with the 90 jet so I still need to down jet. I'll do so after rechecking the timing. Thanks for the help guys

Daniel Jenney /

Went to down to the 85 jet, top speed is 40.7 gps. Seemed to lose some low end but not much. Re gear hopefully in the near future. I'm around 205 lbs, if I just drop the rear sprocket do you all think my take offs will suffer?

Yes, that's how gearing changes work

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account