Kickstart springs w kitted puch tuning question

Trevor Fladwood /

E50

15bing, 15 intake

70 kstar case matched

Tecno circuit

17 btdc

17x40 gearing

So I have the stock 2-shoe clutch, not modified, but with grey Kickstart springs. About how many turns in from flush should I start with? Right now I'm at 2, but low end is not great. The clutch is not braced, so I want to make sure I don't over tighten. Any thoughts?

Re: Kickstart springs w kitted puch tuning question

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

What kind of springs? Stock ones are grey but they don't really slip too well. The aftermarket performance ones are blue, is that what you have? I've never seen a oem braced clutch, treats does sell aftermarket ones that are braced and replacement braces.

Jonathan Feldman /

i have my 2 shoe lightened to... 74 grams with kickstart springs maybeeeee a turn out from flush. its pretty decent, not crazy slip at all but just enough ( for now ). non-braced btw

Kickstart springs have a higher tension than the blue springs.

Trevor Fladwood /

Yeah, those are the ones I have. The super stiffy grey springs, un-lightened stock two shoe. I had been running them two turns in from flush, but tried three today, and it seemed to perform well. A little more take take off from a stop. I am just worried that if there is too much tension, I might bend the posts, or that it wont fully engage. I have tried a lot reading posts here and adjusting them on my own, but I don't think I really get what to look or feel for to know if it is right.

Michael Coonan /

I'm no expert but I wouldn't turn them in more. You should be slipping until about 4k rpm or a little more now. 17/40 seems tall. That might be why your take off is slow. Stock 2 shoe can handle kickstart springs. From what I've researched, you will bend the posts if you lighten the shoes for more slip. Then you should get a brace for it. 0w20 synthetic oil full to the fill plug with 2 more oz over fill will give you more slip.

I could be wrong though. There are a lot of peeps with more knowledge than me on the subject.

Michael Coonan /

I've blued my bell from over tightening. FYI

Always use a fish scale or some other way to measure the preload on the spring. That is the only accurate way to ensure the shoes open at the same time. Don't use the number of turns method if you want the same preload on both springs.

For me, two shoe clutch and kickstart springs slipped TOO much from a stop when I put the screw 2 turns in from flush. It felt like I was spinning the motor well over 5 or 6k just to get it to move. I ran em with the screws flush and it was definitely better. I was running with 0w-20 valvoline sythentic oil. YMMV, just my 2c and experience. (edited)

dang! did you figure this out i'm having the same issue.. with pretty much the same setup

Overpriced Parts /

5-6 k rpm is nothin to some setups, Most high rpm pipe set ups (any other pipe then circuit, estroil or stock) need 8k+ rpm.

Stock hp cylinder or feeblely/poorly tuned kits need near stock 1,700-1,900 rpm engagement RPM to takeoff.

The only problem is with that low of a engagement speed you will stall on a big hill and you'll have to pedal up the hill instead of the clutch slipping you into powerband powering you up the hill.

I did pretty much every puch kit under the sun with every pipe available and with a stock OEM clutch (2or 3 shoe) kickstart springs 3-3 1/2 turns in from flush were the least I could use for Best engagement rpm. Most cases especially for higher RPM pipes kickstart Springs along weren't enough I needed to lighten the clutch shoes and or use a brace.

You must be doing something wrong, using aftermarket clutch or shoes, or be using lightened clutch shoes for kickstart springs to be too much for you.

Thanks for the knowledge ken i just went and tried my screws at flush like that guy further up said and couldnt get it to grab at all

Overpriced Parts /

If it's not grabbing at flush it will not grab at all when turned in a few turns in.

What clutch? what set up do you have?

Hmmm stock clutch un-lightened kick springs 70 k star boss. this makes me think i reassembled wrong hmmmm

Overpriced Parts /

Ya something wrong keeping shoes from moving out or your riding on the screws or something like not torqued/crank just spinning in clutch

On a braced lightened 3 shoe i finally took the time to set the preload for each shoe at 15lbs. The results were perfect. Polini kit w/ Cali pipe

Overpriced Parts /

Boyd - Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> On a braced lightened 3 shoe i finally took the

> time to set the preload for each shoe at 15lbs.

> The results were perfect. Polini kit w/ Cali pipe

Yes lightened uses way less spring

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account