Idle issues with kstar and SHA on Maxi

Cody O'Sullivan /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

First kit, first ped, should have got it running stock, yadda yadda yadda

OK so I have the KStar 70cc kit with treats hi comp head, a stock pipe and a SHA14.12 feeding it (its what I got with the ped). I have a 67 jet in right now. I set the timing to 17deg, but it being my first ped I may be a little off.

I can start her up on choke, but it wants to die after not too long. If I take it off choke I can keep it running with some throttle, but it still won't idle. I've adjusted the idle screw from all in to all out to no avail. Pulling the plug, it is black and wet which suggests to me that I'm rich, but looking at the tuning spreadsheet some people are running with jets in the 70s on SHAs. Would a pipe and porting make such a difference at idle? Should I down jet?

My other thought is that the not so great fit of the sha on the stock intake could lead to an air leak, but that would lead to a lean set up and a high idle, right? I have the carb shimmed with aluminum foil, so I'm not sure how well its working.

Just trying to concentrate on the right problems. Thanks for any help!

IMG_20140725_190341.jpg
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account