Idle issues with kstar and SHA on Maxi

Cody O'Sullivan /

First kit, first ped, should have got it running stock, yadda yadda yadda

OK so I have the KStar 70cc kit with treats hi comp head, a stock pipe and a SHA14.12 feeding it (its what I got with the ped). I have a 67 jet in right now. I set the timing to 17deg, but it being my first ped I may be a little off.

I can start her up on choke, but it wants to die after not too long. If I take it off choke I can keep it running with some throttle, but it still won't idle. I've adjusted the idle screw from all in to all out to no avail. Pulling the plug, it is black and wet which suggests to me that I'm rich, but looking at the tuning spreadsheet some people are running with jets in the 70s on SHAs. Would a pipe and porting make such a difference at idle? Should I down jet?

My other thought is that the not so great fit of the sha on the stock intake could lead to an air leak, but that would lead to a lean set up and a high idle, right? I have the carb shimmed with aluminum foil, so I'm not sure how well its working.

Just trying to concentrate on the right problems. Thanks for any help!

IMG_20140725_190341.jpg

Re: Idle issues with kstar and SHA on Maxi

what slide are you using. there are more than 6 different ones. im guessing yours is flat on the bottom which keeps it super rich at idle. the ones with a taper are a bit more lean. what i like to do is file a small notch or two depending on what my setup wants.

like this when looking at the front of the slide... l_n_n_l or l__n__l

Overpriced Parts /

Use a bing or a carb that has a needle

A sha will be lean on the top if you lean it for good idle .

If you make it rich for good top end you won't idle good

One of the Worse carbs ever for a puch in my opinion .

Only good for stock non puch brand bikes like tomos, spanish, Italian brands

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

sha at wot has nothing to do with the slide. has to do with the size of the holes in the atomizer tube. at partial throttle though absolutely.

we have a hobbit locally thats doing 63mph with a 16.16 sha. theres potential to be had with them

Yep slid mod or #2 slide for the idle, 3 4 or 5 screens for tuning the mids.

SHA's can rock when you know how to tune them.

Small sha and big kit mean too rich an idle when your top is right, you can mod your slide and it will help. Shave the bottom with more angle as discussed here: https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,3065085,3065486 . Make it more like a #4 or #12.

You're also running a stock pipe, which is gonna cut your jetting way down vs an expansion chamber. It should run ok, but I'd still get a 14mm bing in the end. I'd also get a new chain before that rusty thing whips you in the leg. Either way it's gonna be a cool looking bike with that color combo.

peace,

~M (edited)

Make them .5mm to 1mm deep vee's, with one on ether side of the atomizer tube like so.

S L I D E

l***T***l .

l***u***l .

l***b***l .

l***e***l .

---^I^---

http://www.dellorto.com/images/parts/6108-2.pdf

http://www.dellorto.com/merchandise/products_details.asp?PartNo=6108&CategoryID=2&PartsectionID=55 (edited)

From personal experience you should never ever run a SHA on a puch, never. Never ever. It just does not work.

Overpriced Parts /

Crazy Wayne™ rocks your sister's niece's daughter's grandma Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Make them .5mm to 1mm deep vee's, with one on

> ether side of the atomizer tube like so.

> S L I D E

> l***T***l .

> l***u***l .

> l***b***l .

> l***e***l .

> ---^I^---

>

> http://www.dellorto.com/images/parts/6108-2.pdf

> http://www.dellorto.com/merchandise/products_detai

> ls.asp?PartNo=6108&CategoryID=2&PartsectionID=55

If You think he gonna do any of that experimentation you are crazy.

I wouldn't .

Puch are so simple to tune with bings it's not funny.

A puch piston port kit, performance pipe 14mm bing that has a 222 atomizer and 72 jet in it is all you need.

I told a 16-year-old kid over the phone just that setup after he struggled with a Sha for a month and in 1 hr with the bing on his kit was going 46mph with great takeoff

Cody O'Sullivan /

Hey guys thanks for the tips. I'll check out my slide... As I remember it is angled but I'll nail down which # it is. I'll also try some different jets. I want to at least try to get the SHA running.

Yeah the chains a bit rusted, and the master link I picked up from treats (actually 2 of them) dosent fit. The notches for the clip don't stick out enough to get the clip in, even though I measured the chain and made sure it was a 415. I'll get new chain next time I order some parts.

Make sure with a sha that your tuning the jet ONLY for wot. If you downjet to make your idle good, could leave you lean up top. Then good chance you'll seize

Cody O'Sullivan /

This morning I threw in a 64 jet and got the ped idling decently enough to take a very unsafe test drive down my block (only the right side pedal and no chain tensioner). I had to brake and give a tiny bit of throttle to keep her alive at standstills, but she was pulling pretty good (according to my limited ped experience).

I have blue clutch springs so I'll put those in soon, and then I may have a better chance of tuning. Jet up to 4 stroking and then back off, hopefully keeping her from running lean at WOT. I suspect I'll have to take you guys' advice and notch the slide in order to get her really dialed in.

I haven't really checked this out yet, but do people shorten their pedal chain and run without a tensioner? Based on geometry the pedal chain has a smaller change in center-center distance with swing arm motion than the actual drive chain, which doesn't have a tensioner...

Unfortunately thunderstorms have put a damper on my day here in Boston but I got my first miles (err, yards) in today so I'm stoked!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account