ABS Hydro Brakes help

Hey folks,

I am installing some hydo brakes on jr's General Brat. Those little 5" drums just are not cutting it any more.

The one I bought...eh, no, the one they sent me - has the ABS addition. My experience with these style brakes was without that crazy stuff, so I need a little help.

This brake has this little thingy on the caliper they say is ABS.

Is there more to do with these than your standard bleeding? I have bleed plenty thru the lines and it is still way too soft. It is not showing any sign of stiffing up. Made me wonder if there was an adjustment to the ABS?

School me on these things please. What do I need to know to make em work right? Bleed the whole qt of fluid thru them? Am I missing something?

Or should I just take it off and run the line direct into the caliper like my other bike?

Re: ABS Hydro Brakes help

That "ABS" basically just reduces the pressure so the brake is less apt to lock up. You could probably remove it.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

That pic has a spam popup.

There's a small diaphragm in there. When enough pressure is applied it pops out momentarily and let's the caliper lose grip of the disk and thus the anti-lock... Its not extremely effective. I used to work at a scooter place and out 150s had these. I put one on our shop scoot and the brake would stutter if you slammed on it.

It's just 'in line' like a filter. You can keep it or chunk it. You would bleed as you normally would if you keep it. (edited)

Wayne the pic just has a water mark of the site from which he acquired the picture. Its not spam.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

I know what a water mark is when i opened this thread i had a spam page open it was weird.....

In the pic on the right side of abs does it come off for adjustment?

Thanks all.

Charlie, that's what I thought it was all about. And i thought there may be some sort of adjustment to calibrate the diaphragm. see ya in savannah - I hope.

I think i am going to take it off. When I have it off, I'll inspect it real close.

Wayne - should be no spam on that image. The exif is clean. Plus, I edited it in photoshop and am serving it on my own server that i know is clean. So, it is fine. Thanks for watching. I hate that crap.

Take a oil squirt can fill with dot 3 connect to open bleed valve with rubber hose and fill up master cylinder thru the bleed valve forcing the air out the top of master cylinder

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account