Honda pa50 hobbit power loss

Jeff Humphrey /

Ok, here's what happened. I've got a '78 pa50 it was only getting a top speed of 17 down hill when I bought it. I put on the 60cc stocko shocko cleaned up the reed block put a new Chinese carb on n was getting 22mph on the flat. I got greedy n wanted more. So I order a paII reed took the old carb, bored it out to half inch n put the 78 jet from a paII carb in it. The thing idled at max speed. Couldn't get it down to a spot where it wouldn't rip out from under me when I put the stand down. So I put on the Chinese carb with the paII block n I it bogged way down to almost no power. So I ended up going back to the Chinese carb I had with paI reed block and thought all would be well. I would b back to 22 mph. Not so much. Top speed is 17 on the flat. Only thing I didn't mention is I ground down the aluminum tab on reed block n put in a metronik reed block gasket. Any ideas why I lost so much power???

Re: Honda pa50 hobbit power loss

Your bike never ran right. You changed so many variables on top of that when what you should have done was make it right stock first. PUt it back to the way you got it, fix it, then modify.

Emil Kniemel /

Jeff Humphrey /

Thanks for the replys that link is just what I was looking for Emil.

Your top speed limiting factor is your ramp plate. You need a paii ramp plate. But you need to get everything else right first.

yay hobbitses.... you also need this:

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Honda_PA50I_or_PA50M_Performance_%28or_lack_thereof_-_and_what_you_can_%28or_can%27t%29_do_about_it%29

PA50-I to PA50-II stuffs are typically; ramp plate, carb, intake/dual reed block, airbox snorkle, new pipe and choice of cylinder

Jeff Humphrey /

First off thanks for the responses. Keeping the 60cc kit on it I have since replaced the carb and reed block with one from a pa2. I dremeled out the aluminum intake and sawed off the snorkel like it said in the article posted on the thread. I also replaced the fuel lines and put in a new in line filter. Cleaned the petcock drained the fuel removed the pencil shaped screen filter from the tank. It fired right up and after it warmed up I was getting 27mph. In the next couple weeks I hope to replace the ramp plate and exhaust with a proma. I'll let u know how it turns out.

Jeff Humphrey /

Some pics

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Holy shit! Clean that intake up! It looks awfull.

Then sand it on glass with 1000 grit wet. You probably have an air leak on that sealing surface.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account