Variated Ciao questions

I got a ciao, it was single speed.

I made it variated with a grande variated rear tranny and a Malossi Multivar. Missing Malossi yellow contra spring.

2 problems.

1st. I have not bought a new belt, and my stock single speed belt is too skinny to start the bike. what belt should i get? I have read that i should get this one, Malossi from treats

2nd. I can start the bike with a drill and the stock belt and ride around. I noticed it will not fully variate in the front. I am using the stock 6 7g weights.

Do I need to have the yellow contra spring or the correct belt to have it fully variate in the front? or should i make heavier rollers? Or should i worry about the variation only after i get the correct belt?

Thanks.

Re: Variated Ciao questions

Heavier rollers. Take the part # off the belt you have, or measure the outside circle. Mcmaster-Carr has AX section belts that should do just fine, and they're inexpensive.

Are AX section belts thick like the malossi?

The malossi variator Doesnt really like to start with even the ax belts. Get the malossi for sure. I actually am pretty sure I have the right length one in the garage. also only get the malossi contra if you get it dialed in with weights and feel like it still variates too quickly.

And I wouldn't get into changing rollers until you have the right belt

Ok rad! Ordering the malossi belt. Waiting to on weights till I get that sorted out.

Look in the wiki under vespa belts. Gates "Metric Power" belts you can get in 13mm wide (1/2 inch belts are 12.7). I've had good luck with the AX belts too. Worth trying if you can get one quicker at the auto parts store.

GL

~M

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah.

I'd wait till you have the right belt. You'll probably have to pluck that malossi contra, but maybe not.

Belt is a priority.

Ok! I got the belt! Wooo. It works . Starts fine. But yeah now it doesn't variate. I need to make em heavier.

Weights are from a kitted bike, and i m stock so that's my problem I think.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I'd honestly try going to a stock contra before adding weight to the crank end.

I think the Mal yellow spring is meant for the bigger kits that have the balls to sling around the extra heavy weights.

That said. I have a stock Ciao PX with just a tecno pipe, and Deadped Ryan's lightened weights in a stock var and it's awesome. Rear var is the euro model with 90mm bells.

one thing, over the crank sits the spacer, you can alter the length of it to allow the front pullys to meet if that makes sense? the belt never goes all the way to the top anyway, but just something to bear in mind. (thats how restrictors work on most scoots)

I m using the stock contra spring.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Maize BLK Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I m using the stock contra spring.

Ahhhh, just went and re-read the OG post.

IS your belt too tight? I can't believe with a stock setup you need heavier weights...

***VANILLA BLUNDER*** /

6 7gram weights is way crazy super heavy. i have 6 4.9 weights in my kitted setup with the stock spring. how far is "all the way?" the belt still has 1/4 inch at the top wheere it will never ride.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

You should get like 1/8" belt peaking up over the rear pulley when not variated. If it's any more or less, the belt is either too loose or tight.

But yeah, if the bike is stock and you just slapped a variator and related parts on there, you're probably going to need some pretty heavy weights to get it to variate.

I think that's why they started shipping them with 6.0g weights in stead of 4.7.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account