Re: Hobbity Circuits (I don't know)

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

Ok, it's installed in my new 1978 bike.

It bolted right in, installation took minutes.

I can't test it right now, but when it's nighttime... I'll post results.

Be careful, you are likely to pop the headlight doing this.

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

That is definitely not a thing that I thought to be a risk. Why do you think that?

When I think of risks, I think "oh, the diodes are probably going to explode right off the board."

You should think "oh, the led has a draw roughly 1/15th of my stock bulbs or less, this might overpower my unregulated electrical system with the lone headlight"

What's the led headlight?? I see a bunch of less in a space that looks like a taillight. Show me the headlight. Please.

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

there's no LED headlight. it's a stock headlight. I havent' found a LEd headlight that suits my requirements yet.

yeah, I think the draw of the LED taillight is.. less than 4w. The main light array draws 1820mw.

1.82w

we'll see what happens, I'll fire it up right now

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

It works! Flickery. But it works. I kind've expected that on this unrectified bike.

When you stop-light it is fucking brrrrriiiight. In daylight it's noticeable pretty easy. Brighter than the stock light. At speed it's -REALLY- bright.

I'm hoping it doesn't explode if I go on a ride. It might.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

The long leads make good heat sinks for faster cooling when soldering.

So when soldering i find it better to trim the leads after i solder them.

Good work Julie.

Got a new toy for my soldering bench, precision/paco ES-550B Oscilloscope.

Your tail light may blow sky high with a 70cc kit spinning more rpm ?

and moisture

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

Nah. I have another regulator I just don't want to pit it on my 78. Experimenting. 20 mi so far and not a single blown light or LED

Just checking that great led set up could put to much power to head light, but now you can run more watts there . What headlight do you have now?

Neil Burgess /

I still want one- next ride in Portland! Bet it'll work perfectly on DC.

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

hooooly gfuck I am sort of drunk right now or something

I have a miped story.so

shit

well

wanted to see what I oduld .. could do with moped. So I decided to climb a mountain with the hobbit. so here I am climbing this mountain with my hobbit

doing like 37 or something while going up a pretty good incline while it's like.. completely dark and there are woods and probably an axe murderer.

lotta time passes, still ascending and suddenly. nothing. engine just cuts out. no lights. I was a little drunk at the time and forgot if it happened all at once ( a short) or if it was gradual. it would help to remember that.

so, I stop and wonder if there are bears. I've seen this movie. no bears yet but should get moving.

Oh, and while I was stopping cause SUDDEN STOPPING SUDDENLY I almost fell over but didn't but somehow sprained my ankle and that hurts.

So I turned back round and.. hello! engine works again. And I came home.

cool story right? So I took out my taillight mod and hooked it up to a battery and it still works.

my engineering is flawless

also ow my ankle

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

and my fucking speedometer doesn't work now.

how the fuck is that even fucking related. what the hell, moped.

now I need to fix this

Unrelated note: I bet you are one seriously fun drunk.

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

I was listening to Blue Swede - Hooked on a Feeling while cruising.

Why the fuck am I at work right now. Bleeeh.

Ryan, I'll ship out your board tomorrow. I forgot it. I might ride back home to grab it and ship it today, but it'll be by Fedex because UPS is like forever away.

I have one board left if anyone wants it.

No rush, my lc hobbit has been in pieces being built for.... 6 months >.<

Do you have a schematic of the regulator/rectifier circuit? Or moreso.. where you got the "hong kong" voltage reg?

After battling with multiple trail tech/generic/golf cart regulators... I find that making one your own (and knowing all the components) seems to be the best way for longevity.. Something else always seems to fail.

Probably a bit different for me since I'm using an HPI mini coil, but the concept would still apply.

Neil Burgess /

Build that last one for me I'll make it worth your while.

Jeff Mingus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do you have a schematic of the regulator/rectifier

> circuit? Or moreso.. where you got the "hong kong"

> voltage reg?

>

> After battling with multiple trail

> tech/generic/golf cart regulators... I find that

> making one your own (and knowing all the

> components) seems to be the best way for

> longevity.. Something else always seems to fail.

>

> Probably a bit different for me since I'm using an

> HPI mini coil, but the concept would still apply.

I think you need to look into why you blow regulators. Having rigged together several chinese scooter regs, my trail tech rectifier and a generic one from treats I have never had a failure on 3 different bikes.

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

I have no idea how the fuck HPI coils work or what their wiring looks like.

pretty sure it's voodoo.

Neil, I can try and make the last one all assembled for you but it'll have to be in like a month. I am so broke right now.

Jeff the files are uploaded in this thread, just use Eagle to open up the extracted project folder and click the power.brd

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Rear light board or CDI board?

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

none of the things I'm doing are cdi boards.

one's a power converter (power.brd) and one's a rear light (taillight.brd)

GONNA NEED A POWER CONVERTER FOR THE MOISTURE EVAPORATOR. GET TO THE JUNKYARD YA SCRUFFY NERF HERDER.

your speedometer did you break the cable or did it just stop working. sometimes the grease in them gums up.

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

the cable tip actually snapped off inside the drive. I can't get the little thing out.

Also look into the speedo drive itself. After many miles of "way past the numbers" riding my drive finally gave out. I assume it was the gauge for a while.

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

in the speedo drive is the peg from the cable. Jammed in there. I can't get it out. :/

Will just have to replace the speedo drive, then all will be well. Unless someone wants to drive to my house and try and get it out. It's flush in there.

Take it off spray it with carburetor cleaner or soak it in kerosene, when its clean gently tap it so the cable will come out. Do you have compressed air that will help, its to far to drive to your house unless you pay for gas.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account