1986 Suzuki fa50 top speed issues

So I have a 1986 Suzuki fa50 thats pretty much stock and mint. The only thing not stock is the air intake filter cover, which broke off on my first ride and I replaced with a slightly deeper tupperware container for now, which actually gave me a little more speed. Right no it tops off at about 27mph. The stock speed is supposed to be around 30-35mph. Ive run some carb treatment through a few tanks of gas but havent gotten much progress. Any ideas? Im new to the world of moped tuning and mods

Re: 1986 Suzuki fa50 top speed issues

Every fa50 in the world goes 27mph. Seriously.

simon thokaar /

Brandon Johnson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Every fa50 in the world goes 27mph. Seriously.

and thats only if the reeds are still good. Buddy of mine had one going 40ish with an MLM sidebleed and some cylinder work.. it lasted bout a week before seizing..

It's true. The only way to gain ground speed is to increase engine speed, and that causes the appliance like qualities of the fa50 to drain away...

I don't know what alternate universe you pulled the idea of 30-35 from but 28 is pretty much it unless you intend to drop a ton of money and time on the bike. It's not worth it and the bike was never intended for such.

Ditch the tupperware and get the original aircover lid. It'll cost you less than $20 from bikebandit.

Also, that "carb treatment" won't do shit. Magic doesn't exist.

Enjoy what you have. The FA is a dependable, low speed vehicle with insanely great gas mileage. If you treat it right it'll carry you many miles for years to come.

the carb treatment was to clean the carb without disassembling it, and it worked so idk what your talking about, the tupperwear made it hit 28 where as before it barely hit 25 on flat ground. Ive also seen a stock fa50 do 35 so im not pulling that out of anywhere

You're wrong about literally everything and your FA50 will always be slow.

You have never seen a stock FA50 do 35 on level ground. Kits and pipes can barely reach that or just slightly higher.

Your bike did 28 STOCK. If it wasn't doing it with the stock box, something was wrong. It was likely the rubber boot to the box was old, rotted, cracked and leaking. This would cause lean running (so would putting on a "performance filter") and you remedied that.

simon thokaar /

i find it is impossible not to have a smile on my face when im riding a fa50.. buddy of mine has 4.. sometimes we leave the blasters at his house and just slow ride on those instead..

suzuki photo.jpg

Take the carb off, disassemble it, and clean it properly, by hand. That's most likely why it's slow. That or an airleak or a combination of both. The lid is only allowing the mix to be off. Why are you not doing the proper maintenance the bike requires? There is no reason not to.

The only way a stock FA could be capable of doing 35 is if you leaned the hell out of the mix, with a light rider, down a really tall, long hill. Maybe. And any stock FA doing 35 won't be doing it for long. It will burn it up. I know, I've had one of these bikes for years and have seen what running lean can and will do.

That said, I can get mine to do 32, 34 on a good day, and 37 downhill, once. But I've also took the time to case match everything, bored the cylinder over a half size, opened up the carb and intake, balanced the crank, use a colder side-gapped plug, rebuilt the entire engine from top to bottom, and upjetted to do so without blowing it up. It's not that much of a change but it's not quite "stock" anymore is it?

The gear ratio in these bikes cannot be changed resulting in the engine having to be spun to the moon to get any speed out of them. They are geared low for a reason and looking back on it, I should have left it alone. It worked fine like it was.

My advice is for you to get a copy of the manuals, learn how these bikes actually work, do the maintenance it requires, and be happy with what you have. You can big block a Yugo but in the end, it's still just a Yugo.

buy a Puch.

Andre Buller /

i have a fa50 that does 33 on flat ground but that is with the mlm peoples pipe and the mlm intake. With everything stock there is no possible way that you will hit 30's. be happy with the speed that you are getting.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account