Attaching 24 flat slide to a gila

This set up uses a rubber coupler and there is simply too much weight pulling on the coupler. It can come off quite easy. Is there a better way? I've tried to locate the inner clamp differently but it ends up I'm the same place.

image.jpg

Re: Attaching 24 flat slide to a gila

I sometimes glue a block of wood to the engine to support the weight of the carb

Any chance you have a picture of the finished product. It sure makes sense.

Jock strap? Or bra? I need this out of something else. This might save a life

image.jpg

Overpriced Parts /

Extra strong type heater hose and safety wire.

Done .

I think if I used braided steel wire it would work best with a small turnbuckle. Now where does this stuff exist?

Overpriced Parts /

Auto parts store has super stiff heater hose that you may need to heat to it get on Get good hose clamps, cut the piece bigger and it grips more

Thanks ken. Will start my search. The carb is spitting out a bit of fuel from one of the tubes that are overflow ports. It looks to be coming from the bowl. When I don't let the carb sag (self level I think) the "spitting" increases. I ordered a different coupler from treats which looks a tiny bit longer and I will try to set it up so that it is level and secured with the heater hose or whatever.

Overpriced Parts /

Both my Mikuni flat slides spit a little from the hoses.

When I adjust the float until doesn't spit no more then it's fuel starved on high rpm so go figure.

You could slip a larger hose over the right size hose OD if you could get a tight fit once clamped it would be very stiff

Ken that was my guess what would happen. I think the right way to do this is to get the length of the hose to the point that the mikuni is perfectly level and then secure it with my jock strap dealie. Then it should outperform the angled typical setup!

Geez a solid intake casting that had a bolt on to the carb would be ideal.

Overpriced Parts /

I had Nate from motomatic make my Gila intakes

Never any problems. (edited)

image.jpg

Thanks I will contact him.

I have a rear facing MLM intake, I used thick vinyl tubing with some kind of woven reinforcements molded into it. and some heavy duty hose clamps. seems to be ok. the intake did not fit on a pinto frame as it came, I had to adjust it a little to fit so that motomatic might be better.

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

There's this store, called treatland, that sells something that mates the intake to the carb.... It sounds like you need that.

Matt what i am talking about is that set up. It's unsafe and is possibly compromising performance. Did ya read that Ken is having the spit back issue to and if he lowers the float level the machine is fuel starved? I am not being critical but factual. I think that a) the carb at that steep a angle is at the extreme of the mikuni design range and that ideally a carb should have additional support other than two c clamps on a rubber hose that is sagging to the point that I think there is an intermittant air leak. I would like to see the carb at a more horizontal but supported position. I would hope that the fabricators would seize this opportunity to make a definitive well designed set up. I for sure am going to try. I am thinking to see if the fiber rubber at treats is a bit longer and will bend or I am going to add a short piece is curved pipe to my intake and then drill and tap a hole on the magnum frame and place an eyelet sideways off the frame. Then I will loop the carb with braided steel and with a locking hook, cantilever the weight of the carb. Then it will be perfectly horizontal and the fuel spitting will cease and it will work betta.

Overpriced Parts /

My carbs set pretty much flat and they still drip a little

Especially over bumpy or crappy roads

Ken that's what I am shooting for.

those style rubber connectors you buy from the moped shops are crap, heater hose is a far leap better.

Do you have a rotary tool, a bench vise, a sharpie, and pipe cutter (optional)? If so, you can make your own out of the stock cast or similar aftermarket cast manifold + a mandrel bent aluminum pipe. Even if you can't weld aluminum, you can mark it up with a line or two and have someone do it for cheap. My carb sits perfectly level and doesn't interfere with anything...because I made it for just this one application.

Helpful links:

- 16 gauge aka .065" wall thickness - FYI

- Perfect, cheap

I made my last two intakes and I have been very happy with them - do it!

Derek that is beautiful. Yup I can do that with a bit of help. I have access to it all. I've to to decide which one is best. Ie cut back my casting and weld the 90 degree one or finish the curve with a. 45 degree piece.

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

My carb spits too. Just get longer hoses and run them to an ok place. My carb sits flat. I used a treats couple and it's great.

my tm24 carb sits at about a 60deg angle on my derbi (flat reed) and it doesn't fuel starve or drip out of the overflow lines.

I like Derek's solution. Anybody want to tig weld that up for me?? I am going to ask my "mentor" bobby

I am sure he is going to say,"no problem, you know where the tig welder is , go for it!!!"

When I. "Go for it " I've got to make sure he is nearby. :)

Overpriced Parts /

Ryan N. Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> my tm24 carb sits at about a 60deg angle on my

> derbi (flat reed) and it doesn't fuel starve or

> drip out of the overflow lines.

I think that a angle is better because overflow is up out of the gas .

Mine seemed to weep more after I got a intake that made the carb sit flater

Hmm as usual this is getting less clear not more clear as to the optimum angle!

What's interesting (oh boy I am changing the subject) is that Aaron who is selling the 60 mph hobbit in San Diego thinks we are using way way to big a carburetor on

our 70-80 cc kits. He thinks 16 mm is optimum. He thinks a 24 is for a 125 to 250 cc bike!

I sure like the looks of a 24 flat slide. When I tightened the clamps and put my little zip tie jock strap on it was pissing throughout the overflow right onto the mesh of my left sneaker. So It pisses more at the steeper angle. So there must be a pissing curve I can establish. I will try various angles until I find the least pissy angle and then to a welded solution.

Marc Friedman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Derek that is beautiful. Yup I can do that with a

> bit of help. I have access to it all. I've to to

> decide which one is best. Ie cut back my casting

> and weld the 90 degree one or finish the curve

> with a. 45 degree piece.

Thanks! Yes, you're going to want to cut/grind/angle both the casting and tubing to get the best placement/clearance. I would get either the 1-1/8" pipe (28.6mm OD, 25.3mm ID) or 1-1/4" pipe (31.75mm OD, 28.45mm ID).

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Just use map gas and zink/alu rood.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account