what causes the Pietcard 2041 to blow?

I have blown two of them on differnt set ups.

This time I have a treats CDI, I generic scooter 12v coil, a ngk resistor plug boot. And a rwgular plug for a puch.

Lasted about. . . 2 miles?

Re: what causes the Pietcard 2041 to blow?

poor grounds? poor QC? who knows.

I wish I knew. I want some stability in my life!

mine has been going strong for 3 seasons now. no issues. i always do redundant grounds back to the engine case though for anything i ground on my bike. and a 10k ohm plug boot.

Yeah. Mine is grounded to the case. What external coil are you using?

And are you using the treats cdi?

i'm using the treats cdi and i'm using olympia external coils.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Maize BLK Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wish I knew. I want some stability in my life!

That's why mopeds have pedals.

it sucked pedaling home last night!

I've had no trouble so far w/ the 'treats adventure pack 2' components and the shielded non-resistor Atomic ignition wire w/ resister plugs.

So you think a resiser plug is better than a resister boot?

Yeah that's just my personal preference. I really like the atomic shielded wire with its own built-in ground (easy to DIY of course but I love Andy Mopedhead,) and the whole function of it is to shield the CDI from interference.

Tear one down and Reverse-engineer it, maybe we can build something better?

man you scared me, i just switched back to points for the tip. gonna rock 17 BTDC ken roff style and try to survive break-in.

didn't have all my lights and shit hooked up anyway so it was an easy decision.

i did go all ADD on my treats stator and completely rewire it with new leads, floated light ground, potting on all connections, and new SHCS hardware... maybe when i get back from the trip i'll finally get around to doing this curve shootout video thing i keep going on and on about.

I did JTT 3 with a treats cdi, it blew up a week after the rally.

I have treats cdi, Picard 2041 coil and resistor boot. I run resister plugs. I have everything grounded to the frame. I have been lucky and it has lasted 3 seasons. However two other guys in Charlotte have had trouble with them. One guy has gone through about 3 in the same amount of time and other guy went through 2 in a few months. It could be the grounding of the coil and box or it might be the quality in which they made.

I just got my new one in the mail. Yikes! Don't wanna blow it up!

i've only had one fail and i've had a bunch of bikes with them. seems like their qc is getting worse... I dunno. I haven't used one in a year or so.

hmm yeah, its hard to say, the way people do shitty crimp connections and bad grounds and all that is enough variability to create a ground fault or high resistance connection that could fry the circuit.

add that to the terrible QC on the treats CDIs... the one i just rebuilt had 2 strands of wire on the ground side of the ignition coil that were actually attached, a gentle tug broke the ground wire completely off the solder tab.

plus the fact that the 2041 isn't really designed for that driver coil, it could be putting out way more voltage and running the components right on the margin.

Fuck! So I got my new one last night, hooked it up and it idles but if you rev it, it just backfires. Bad box out of the box!

Have Jed fix it for you!

with so many blown 2041 boxes anyone want to send one to me? I can give you some money for the shipping.

-naz

no?

Kevin Bishop /

I use the pietcard by coil with mine and never had problems on 2 puchs and one garelli.

Depotting them takes a long time. I depotted an HPI and it took a month. You can't depot them mechanically. Takes too long and you damage the parts. Depotting chemically is the way to go.

I do combination and have done a few pretty quickly. I'm usually just interested in the values and circuit nothing else.

I mean, you have to do a combo... You only get so far penetration before it's just crumbly and won't reach fresh material. Only reason I went in was to look at the circuit too. Not worth your time if you're just wanting it fixed

I haven't had any luck reading SCR etched values or SMT diodes and resistors with out letting the chemicals do all the work when you get close.

I want to know where I can purchase the injected housings to pot my own circuits... Lots of stuff on mouser that could work, but all the CDI housings are similar... I wonder. (edited)

Yeah, I don't get to excited about trying to find the values on the diodes.. the diodes are often under sized voltage wise same with the SCR. They are often using the cheapest of the cheapest parts. Only box that I have removed the potting from that was decently built so far was a PVL ignition which uses a PIC micro for the timing and didn't cheap out on the diodes. But yanking them apart is usually fun and interesting.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account