Vespa Bravo: Will this run well together?

Will these parts run well together on a bravo?

I want primarily a RELIABLE moped to blaze around town in - lots of stop and accelerate, want great acceleration.

I currently have kick start/cdi - I presume I will need some parts from the old engine - which ones?

Polini Speed Engine ELECTRIC:

http://www.jmpbparts.com/polini-carter-80cc-electr-ontsteking.html

(this is for ciao originally with ciao head and decomp - might be good as I will have to run start it without the kick)

Crankshaft Nuova Mazzuchelli (longer intake/race model):

http://www.jmpbparts.com/krukas-nuova-citta-ciao-race-amt004.html

Cylinder kit Malossi 46.5mm:

http://www.jmpbparts.com/malossi-cilinderkit-46-5m-ciao.html

OR pinasco 46mm which is more expensive, any difference?

(already have 13/13 carb and tecno circuit and a polini top one)

Thoughts?

Re: Vespa Bravo: Will this run well together?

The transfers on that cylinder are not the same as the cases. Look for a kit that has the same transfers as a polini kit. Treatland.tv has a DR kit that has the same transfers and its cheap but i dont know where you are and how shipping would be.

Dirty30 Dillon /

DR kit will not fit that case, which is designed for the large skirt kits. Get the matching polini kit or prepare to case match.

Thanks guys! Polini kit it is then. Is the crankshaft good or full circle one? Never got the difference, in my brain full circle doesnt make sense - no fuel inlet?.

What parts do i need from the old engine, or can/should i buy anything more? Im thinking about a large manifold and carb+filter while im at it - any recommendations? Critical to fit inside subframe! Reliable setup foremost, acceleration/power second :)

The DR does fit the Polini speed case. I know, I ran it! :). However, the transfers do not really line up so you may have a problem getting a good seal. 43-46mm fine on the Polini. I agree with Dillon, best to get the 46mm Polini kit to match the motor, all case matched and ready to go.

Ben -- do some searching on this site. There are many threads about common Vespa set ups and what successes folks have had with them. (edited)

Thanks guys! =))

I have searched like crazy but wont find any useful "complete package" info.

I currently have kick start/cdi - I presume I will need some parts from the old engine as well - which ones? Or better to buy new and sell old engine complete?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Well...

Full circle cranks only get used on vespa motors with reed valve intake, such as a Malossi RV, Simonini case-halve, etc. They are pretty much a paper weight for anything else.

If you're buying cases, kit, crank, you only need carb/ignition really.

Either harvest it from the Kick motor, or sell it whole and probably make back what it will take to buy the carb/ign.

Sweet!

Yea I'll buy a big carb and manifold for it, you know any carb (19'ish) to fit inside the subframe on the speed engine?

Ignition - I presume flywheel with stator and cdi.. That package is expensive, $200 :(

https://www.treatland.tv/complete-vespa-piaggio-cdi-unit-p/complete-vespa-cdi-unit.htm

Actually I have a cdi unit spare already, but not flywheel or stator. Maybe just harvest from old engine, and sell kick start engine without it.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, the CDI (when it's in stock [never]) is money.

I don't have any real experience with the Speed Engine's different intake/carb options. I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.

Thx for all the help Dillon, really friemdly guy!! :))

Drilled intake on a stock case if your going to run a 13mm carb.

Speed case is a waste of money if your not going to run a larger carb.

What carb size phbg carb is recommended on 46mm - bigger = better? 19 is the largest possible i presume?

You can run a 46mm kit on a 13.13 if you want -- I am not sure running a 19 PHBG makes a ton of sense when considering fuel economy v. increase in power. Polini's instructions for the 46mm kit contemplates that you cut the crank and run a 13.13. Frederick in the Netherlands sells PHBG/SHA intakes for the Polini Speed Case, or you can find the DIY thread somewhere on MA.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Short Moby intake is said to work well, but will require some massaging

Sweet - is there a noticable performance difference in acceleration? Top speed matters less since the 1313 will already get me where i want (45-55mph / ~70kph)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account