New Moped!!

just got a '78 magnum xk. been havin alot of fun with it, so far (as far as i can tell anyway) its all stock. wondering where to go from here, been lookin at bigger bores a cdi kit and new carbs, a big check here and there is ok but not sure where to start at. looking to get advice on something that can be used from where im at ow and not obsolete for the next few big purchases

thanks!

magnum.jpg

Re: New Moped!!

Tony montana /

pipes not stock. looks like a boss...

thank you! wanted a moped for a looong time now, finally found one that ran and was top tank. i forgot i was told that the pipe wasn’t stock, been enjoying it alot though, just need some ideas on how to go about upgrading it, was thinking to start with the cdi kit at treats but alot is still unclear to me.

Overpriced Parts /

If the lights all work and the plug has good spark then why get a crap India cdi. The original stator ( if yours has one ) lasted 35 years and if you take care of it will last 35 more.

Search puch timing and point gap

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

Damn, a red one.... I saw that for sale.

i agree that the points is a good set up but cdi is new and i can locally pick up bulbs if i go with 12v output, i have only read positive on cdi. if the cdi isn’t where i should start someone let me know, i just think that if i started there it wouldn’t be obsolete after future upgrades

when he said it looks like a boss..., he meant the name of what that exhaust pipe sells as, Tecno Boss

look into the wiki of this site.. treatland.tv for parts.. 70cc cylinder kit, 15-2Xmm carb and intakes.., MLM pipes, sprocket gearing, ...read the wiki on performance mods

HPI mini rotor cdi... Never obsolete

but points are fine too.

Haha oops, all magnums look boss though.

And Kev, that's what i was thinking cdi as a starting point would you recommend the mini rotor over the powerdynamo? What are the pros and cons to each?

Thanks!

I've only had the HPI mini. It has an ignition curve that retards when rpm's go up. It helps keep your temps down. It also has less mass spining , so it revs quicker/throttle response.

I see, is that 12 volt output? Kinda want to go 12 volt. And what wattage does it provide for the lighting? Not finding anything online.

Hi Tyler,

here is what you got...

50cc TCCD

stock head

15 bing clone with 2.15 atomizer and 78 (i think) jet

stock points timed at ~16 degrees

kickstart springs in the clutch

stock crank but new bearings and seals in the bottom end

A high quality CDI does make some sense especially since you are familiar with electrical

yup 12v a.c. At 55 watts I believe.

good power so get a regulator.

Any recommendations? Treats has 2 in stock, and I'm leaning toward the powerdynamo but not sure if that's the one that is community recommended.

-Brian- The Ruffians STL /

The hpi mini is better. Powerdynamo has no curve.

Cool thanks.

Are they both pretty reliable? Read people ave more issues with the hpi but if more people buy them than it makes sense

Awesome bike! A little off topic, but I was wondering what you paid for it. I have been looking for one but all are too far or too expensive.

You're going to pay alot, I payed about what I consider a fair price for the condition. Everything works and the motor is strong, it was mostly Complete and best of all I have a title. Plus I met a pretty cool dude. You might get a deal on a non runner but you may or may not spending more replacing good parts if you are not familiar with mechanics/electrical.

Don't be afraid to tell us what you paid. Sure a bunch of asshats will say its too much. Because of course they get every ped they buy for under $200 (this is why they have 35 "almost running" bikes or they are straight liars. I agree with you that you get what you pay for. I have paid fair prices for bikes with titles and good condition, no one but you know what it's worth to you. I just like to know the ballpark people are getting NICE bikes for. I appreciate you posting pics of your new ride, its great looking!

Fair enough, over 900 under 1200. About te get more expensive yet with upgrades

Re: New Moped!! Speed chart

matt boda1nz /

That's a legit price. Nice.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I could never swallow those prices. Only reason I have a Mag is because 85 year old dude was sick and wanted it gone. Yay.

I personally wouldn't waste the money on the Powerdynamo. A ton of money for no curve and only good lights? I'll take the curve and just ride with friends.

Because five 20w lights equals one 100w right?

No lights and a dark face shield is how I roll.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No lights and a dark face shield is how I roll.

This guy knows

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No lights and a dark face shield is how I roll.

Must be on ins with LPD. Me, i am not. Not the charming type.

Just don't be the slowest in the group, keep riding when they pull you over, have friends that won't tell who you are and you're all good. On the off chance they do come after you blame it on your quiet helmet, I didn't hear anything, sorry. Haven't gotten a ticket yet.

I dont have a group... and even if I did id probably be the slowest anyhoo. Probably have the biggest smile though!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account