not so boss

I got a techno boss a couple weeks ago, put it on my stock hi torque e50 with a 16.16 sha. I have read that these boss pipes have weak low end but, worse than stock? I have held off posting this till I got it jetted properly.

Is it normal to have to pedal your ads off to get this moving? High end is seriously impressive however, went from top speed of 27 to 35 (GPS) on stock gears.

I keep tightening the clutch screws hoping to get into the powerband but, does not seem to be enough..

Opinions? I have a malossi 60 kit on the way, but I am enjoying getting the most from this setup until I have the time to put that kit on.

Ps. Tuning is a great time! This is my first adventure outside of a repair. 8 jets tried, 4 clutch settings tried, timing etc. I am having as much fun taking the ped apart as I am riding it.

Re: not so boss

It may be a combination of your 16 sha, boss and clutch. You can't tighten the springs too much or they'll bind, stronger springs can be installed. I lightened the shoes and tightened the springs slightly to let the clutch rev up a bit and the acceleration is pretty decent with a boss and 14 bing.

Overpriced Parts /

Make sure your timed correctly.

When you kit your bike time at the lowest of the settings to start/see if you run cool head temps .

Do not run your kit without setting timing or running a gauge.

Those malossi kits are pricy and one seize could wipe it out.

I'd run a bing or a carb that has needle, a pipe with a broad powerband like a circuit/estroil

Ya sell off that boss and non needle 16.16 carb

Puchs don't like them

image.jpg

The Boss is fine, that SHA is your problem. I think you'll have better luck with the Bing that came on it.

SHA...such a terrible carb! Needle carb all the way

***VANILLA BLUNDER*** /

Boss pipes are garbage on stock cylinders (and kitted ones for that matter) their powerband is so high, a stocker won't be able to really push it and the off the line power suffers so much. When will people figure this out? Every other pipe performs better in every area.

i think the 16 sha is too big to tune right. i have a few 15 shas on my bikes and they do pretty well.

are you're exhaust and intakes matched to the cylinder? that would help. time hot. maybe run some extra oil in the tranny.

e50's always have sucky low end.

i like bosses, but yeah, without a kit, you may end up pedaling it a bit.

Derek Bandit Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Boss pipes are garbage on stock cylinders (and

> kitted ones for that matter) their powerband is so

> high, a stocker won't be able to really push it

> and the off the line power suffers so much. When

> will people figure this out? Every other pipe

> performs better in every area.

^^^^^

On a 50 you can crank the compression up to 215psi to get you off the line faster and the Boss hits so mildly all will be well. I ran around with 215-230 and a wide exh port on a 50 with a 6P and would only sieze if something like a exhaust gasket blow out happened. Premium fuel only please

Ok, how do I crank up the compression? Thinner base gasket? And cool that you mentionedpremium fuel, I was thinking about this the other day while gassing up. Is it the same idea as cars, higher compression needs more octane?

Yeah I mean reading reviews on this pipe, lots of people say 'weak' low end, I assumed that meant usable, and not 'non existent' low end. Learning with money sucks.

Brent Bublitz /

You only need higher octane if you are running really high pressures. It helps avoid pre-detonation.

Swap back to a 15mm bing and you will get your bottom end back and keep the top. You could raise the compression, but then it will be stressing your crank and other moving parts.

I have been slowly advancing the timing since I got it, currently at 17 btdc. I will take your advice and move it back to 14 before the kit goes on. As far as needle carbs go, I have been looking at phbg options. In your opinion, is a 19mm phbg too large for a malossi rig? I really don't understand how the bore of the carb effects performance.

If my bike had a 15 bing I would not have swapped it, I have a 12 bing.

No the exhaust and intake are larger than the cylinder, intake is square, cylinder round. Yeah.

Already running 17 degrees btdc. How does extra trans fluid add torque? Or is it letting the clutch slip for a longer period?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account